Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice need plz

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by BLUEDIAMONDS, Mar 29, 2011.

1. BLUEDIAMONDS

BLUEDIAMONDS PetForums Junior

Hello all.

How easy is it too litter train kittens???? I recently got a new one and it did have an accident ( but not where I put the tray, lol) however I did move the tray too where the kitten has wee'd , I am not sure if its the right thing too do etc, if anyone could advise me I would be most grateful - The kitten hasnt been a wee since, again I am not sure how often they do go ( its eating and drinking ok) I keep picking up up once every so often and putting it in the litter tray but alas nothing is happening .

I do have a vets appointment thurs to give the kitten the once over and sort out flea & worming and innoculations sorts but any help/advise you be gr8 for now - Thanks in advance for reading. xxx

2. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

How old is the kitten? Kittens should not leave their mother and siblings until they're 12 weeks old by which time they should be fully litter trained.

On one of your previous threads (see link below, post #28), I believe you advised that you weren't going to get a kitten that was too young. Does this mean you now have a very young kitten :confused:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-chat/155737-hello-everybody.html

3. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

mine were easy as pie, after he/ she has eaten put it in the litter and wait for a wee/ poo. Keep putting him in the tray every 20 mins or so untill they get the hang of it. Keep the tray in one place at first otherwise he will get confused as to where the tray is. It wont take long, mine only ever had a few accidents. :D Pictures please

4. BLUEDIAMONDS

No I do not have a very young kitten, as I stated on the other thread (previous too this one) that I decided against the one I was going too get off my friend ( and I haven't gone back on my word) I was informed that the kitten was litter trained and everything, I am just wondering because my house is a new place for her and everything that the kitten is a little confused by whats gone on etc.... thanks for your previous post xx

5. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Thanks for clarification :)

In this case, being as your kitten is just a bit confused about being in a new home, it would just be a case of placing him/her in the tray a few times, if you live in a house and only have one kitten, have two trays, one upstairs and one downstairs and familiarise your kitten with both trays. If he/she was used to going in a tray at the breeder's house, there shouldn't be a problem at your home. They will soon get used to their new surroundings and hopefully there shouldn't be any accidents.

None of my kittens had any accidents, but they did come to me at 13 weeks (or over) and were guaranteed to be litter trained by the breeder :)

It might be best to use the same litter and type of tray the breeder was using ie: hooded or open, whichever applies. Good luck :)

6. BLUEDIAMONDS

tyvm 4 the info . I have kept same litter/food/drinking supplies etc as I didnt wanna confuse her 2 much. thanks once again. most appreciated xx

7. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Hi..really hoping your new kitten is 8 wks at least !!
    Older is ideal though.....the kittens owner was obviously lazy if is 8 wks old and not litter trained ;)

Anyway lets back to your original question :)

Your kitten will pick it up easily hopefully....keep 2 or 3 litter trays around the house and use a good litter....i dont think clumping ones are very good for young kittens.. i could be wrong.

When i litter trained my kitten Indy...i used to put her in the tray all of the time especially after her waking up and after she had ate....rubbing her little paws in the litter to show her what to do.

We had a few accidents so on the advice of some forum members on here i soaked up some of her wee with kitchen towel and rubbed across the litter and when she had a poo...put a little of it in her tray ;) gross i know!!
    but it worked...i let her sniff it in the tray and within a couple of days she was having no accidents :)

Your kitten is probably settling in as well...how old is he or she ?..sorry cannot remember what you said in your post...also has the little one had a visit to the vets to be wormed, flead, vaccs and a general check up
    ...always a must when you get a new kitten which isnt from a reputable breeder

enjoy your baby xx:)

#7 honeysmummy, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  8. honeysmummy

sorry blue diamonds just saw other posts after i submitted this about your kitties age

have you got a name and some piccies ?xx

9. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

Mine was already litter trained but I remember a friend of mine telling that she stayed a whole day digging and playing in the litter tray with her kitten until instincts and a full bladder told him what to do. Remember to praise and give a treat to your kitten when the job is done.:D

10. BLUEDIAMONDS

Her name is Gypsy :D- Do I need certain amount of posts b4 I can post pictures or anything??? Have to figure out how 2 do it first lol

11. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

But the age hasn't been divulged :confused:

12. honeysmummy

cute name :)

no you can post photos anytime i think....
    if you have photos on your computer.then click attachements above the reply to thread box and post them that way....or open a free a/c with photobucket and copy and paste the IMG CODE from there website :):)

looking forward to piccies xx

13. honeysmummy

sorry dougal..its not my place to hound her for the kittens age :eek:

14. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

No one is 'hounding'. Asking the age of a kitten who appears not to be litter trained is a very relevant question, as there could be other issues besides a young age.

15. honeysmummy

sorry trying post as well as bath a 5 yr old who thinks the bath is a swimming pool !!!

what i meant is...in response to your first post..she said the kitten she would want would not be too young as she had said in a previous thread....so i am assuming the kitten is 8 wks or above...thats what i meant in my last post as well :)

so my mind is it rest somewhat as the kitten is not extremely young :nono:

or what i consider a dangerous age to be away from its mother

16. honeysmummy

i think our posts have just crossed over ;)

17. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I never assume, that's why I ask the question in the first instance, so that advice can be tailored to meet the question, not an assumption ;)

And 8 weeks is young to rehome a kitten :(

18. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

No problem :)

19. honeysmummy

In a ideal world ..yes it is dougal you are right. 8 wks can be too young to rehome a kitten..but unless you are aware of my situation...i have been turned down by rescues several times and wanted moggies...so have had to reply to private ads..i have not followed up phonecalls about kittens who were stupidly young to be leaving their mothers and with both my kittens have responded to ads for 8 wk kittens..have met the kittens and not been happy about where they have been living and how a form of neglect has been going on because not all people research and want to be educated about the animals they own :mad:

i have been unable to walk away both times because i knew i could give these kittens the best life possible...in my case both are healthy gorgeous loving and affectionate :D

so that is probably why i respond to posts in that way...yes.. less than 10 wks is not ideal...but its not a disaster either

maybe i trust to quickly...but i am hoping that when bluediamonds says the kitten is not too young than that is the case :)

anyway i have rambled and we have hijacked the thread

no offence intended ;) :)

#19 honeysmummy, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  20. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I wasn't aware of your situation and to be fair, I wasn't asking the age of the kitten to question your judgement; I asked in relation to the OP's litter tray issues which clearly can be age related.

You've been fortunate that your kittens have developed well, but just because you had no disasters, doesn't mean that will be the case for everyone. The same as a 12-13 wk old kitten leaving home is not a cast iron guarantee of perfect health and temperament. Every kitten is different, but it's up to us to ensure we do the best for them from the outset :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice