Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ADVICE ; INTRODUCTION OF NEWKITTEN TO OLDER ESTABLISHED CAT

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Julie Goldman, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Julie Goldman

Julie Goldman PetForums Newbie

can anyone give me some advice on introducing Mila (new kitten) to Mia (older existing cat). Mia is 4 years old and has always been an only cat. She has not had interaction with other cats and she is a real daddys girl very vocal and still very playful. we have made a safe place for Mila (kitten) in my daughters bedroom and its been a week since we adopted her. We have allowed Mia into the bedroom to smell and check things out and holding Mila. She did hiss but not aggressive and just walked out the room. i have taken Mila baby out on 3 occasions and let her play around our house in lounge and kitchen with us watching her (Mia big cat was put into my bedroom) baby Mila was in her element and climbed and sniffed everything she went balistic. My question is when and how do i introduce them properly ? i know she has to stay in the bedroom as she is still so small and we are not alwlays there. Mia big cat has her food in the kitchen as she always has done and Mila baby has her food in her safe zone my daughters bedroom.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Congratulations on your new baby!

First thing you should do is change the kitten's name. It's not fair to Mia, the names are too much alike.

Make sure Mia has places to go, once the kitten has full range of the house, to get away when she wants, especially someplace up high where she can perch and watch what is going on.

Have at least 3 litter boxes and always let them have separate Meal Spots.

Otherwise, sounds like you are doing everything right. Hissing (or even growling) is just Mia expressing her opinion and is not cause for worry.

3. Julie Goldman

Julie Goldman PetForums Newbie

Hello
    Thank you for your advise. i thought the same when my daughter named her and i agree. How soon to put them in the same space ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice