Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Advice/input on a new budgie question i have

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by OMGoshits may name, Nov 5, 2018.

1. OMGoshits may name

OMGoshits may name PetForums Newbie

Hi, This is my 1st time on this site, i not certain if i will stay and become a active member yet. I have 2 female budgies they are 8 and 9 years old, they meet(we took the youngest in) 1-2 years ago. They are so routine, they each have their own cages. Though throughout the days they play in and out of each other cages, eating each others food, etc, they get along Great. the very odd, "snap" at one another, an like "cllockwork" come 9:50 pm they each go to their own cage and get up in their own beds(perches) we do our nightly silliness, cover each cage, and they great. Ok here's the issue, and ooh i hope i can get a answer tonight. we recently purchased a Large cage, as we want to get some space in our mobile(some areas are small), with 2 cages on tables etc, they take up alot of room, as well as we want them in one cage, they have EVER spent the night in the same cage. So the new big cage has been set up for a month, and we have been putting the new, and old toys everything old and new, in the cage throughout the month, finally these last 2 nights we have slowly in the day moved the food and water in, and I removed their cages, we rolled the Big new one to it's new spot. I done the best i could on making their areas as familiar as their old cages, ex: I put Susies toys an (she sleeps, well lol, staring at herself all night in her mirror, put the toys around the perches for each as they each had them in their little seperate cages. It was bedtime( probibly worse night to do this, time went back a hour tonight) so they were not their usual sleepy sleves. They are never locked in their cages until bedtime, so i closed the door after alot of situating the new cage, and started to put the cover over, well "Chloe" our 9yr old was fine, didn't seem to bother her, but Susie, the Mirror girl, just woudn't settle, she was not making noises or nothing, but she was all over the inside of the cage like hanging from the ceiling of it etc.at 1 point she crled upside down in the corner with her little head as close to bars as she can get them with a look as if to say "your killing me It broke, and is breaking my heart. I tried everything to get her on one of the "many" perches we have in the new cage, as well as her mirror. I must of moved that mirror 20 times, every where/perch she would get on i moved the mirroe there, it was as though she didn't want nothing to do with it. am so worried, an I know i am over reating, they are not making a sound, (well a bit here and there) I can hear her moving abut the bars in the cage. Should i of left a light on(just so she could/can see through the cover, or just do what i'm doing, in bed, T.V. on, our usuaual routine? An How long will it take for her to setle, i know we have to go through this again tomorrow. If i give the cages back, i'm not teaching nothing, except i am totally powerless over them, of corse i love them soo much, and they are so smart it is something a person would habe to witness themselves... What-to do?
    What do i do from this moment on?
    Over reacting budgie momma
    Thank You in advance, so waiting and anxious to hear some input
    ONGoshitsmyname
    Susie is the green one, (The difficult one tonight, (Mirror Girl, she loves her)
    Chloe is the whit one

Attached Files:

2. EmberBirb

EmberBirb PetForums Newbie

Hi, I’m not an expert on these things but I can give you a small insight on what I think about it.
    Depending on individual birds and species it will take a different amount of time for them to settle into a new environment.
    When you move them into a new cage you have to make sure that the cage is not overcrowded with new things so they don’t feel stressed.
    My bird occasionally jumps onto the top/ sides of his cage at night but as soon as all the lights are off he will sleep fine so I’d say just keep to your routine and see how it goes.
    As long as you monitor them and make sure they are not fighting or feather plucking then they should be ok. I’ve seen some people recommend leaving them in a new cage for one whole day without letting them out to let them get more adjusted.
    Hope this helps at least a little, sorry I can’t help much.

OMGoshits may name likes this.
  3. OMGoshits may name

Hi, Thank You so much, Right up until yesterday. I brought their cages back out. they were flying over to where they "were before i took them away" and landing on the floor/carpet. I felt so bad, There is a new issue though we just figured tonight, 1 of the girls has practically been living in a material cup holder, since she has discovered it she is in it from sunup to sundown. only comes out to eat, she even sleeps in there. Susie(the one that seems out of place) spends her day until bedtime, alone, and trying to get in with her. Should i remove the material cup holder,if i had 2 i'd keep it(i have 2 tents on the way) we did bring their old cages back out and last night the one thats out of place, jumped up on a perch she likes in the big cage and the other one went into her cage up on her bed(perch) but Susie didn't. What have i done? oh i wish i have of just let them play in it like they where doing. I must have susie all confused, but chloe, nothing seems to bother her! Suggestions would sure be helpful. again thank you for your input, it is a welcomed piece of advice. Should i take the material cup holder away? what should i do in this situation, i feel as though i have messed Susie s routine all up!

4. EmberBirb

Hm well I’d say try not to bring their old cage back out even if they fly to were it was. This might confuse them and if the larger cage is what you’d like to permanently house them in then it’s good for them to get used to it rather then think they can just go back. Some birds it may take more time to adjust to new enclosures but as long as you see them eating and drinking without showing signs of stress they should be ok.
    As for the cup holder, it woulda like the bird finds it as a safe spot, I would say if she’s showing no sign of aggressive/possessive behaviour when your hands near it and she’s eating then it will be ok to leave it. If she stays in it none stop take it away for a couple of hours to encourage her to explore then put it back down at the end of the day for her to feel safe in.

5. EmberBirb

I can understand sometimes it is hard to get a bird used to a new space. My parrot was kept in an avairy for 8 months then I took him in and he’s lived in a cage for a year now (while being let out very often) and his breed is supposed to not cope well in cages but he’s doing great! All depends on the individual

6. OMGoshits may name

Thank You so much EmberBirb, I really appreciate your input. I need that. THis morning, everything went fine, i did take the cup holder out, she was in it all night (again), lol, she layed a egg(not fertile, they both females. she had a nest down in there, lol, oh my goodness i laughed. Since we've had her she's laid a lot of eggs we stopped counting after 30, then she stopped, this is the 1st egg she has laid in a long time, must of been where she made the "cup holder" a nest!, she has not done that in the past, she's hasn't had nothing to make a nest out of. It really is what they say "natural instinct" when you think about it. they've been raised in captivity, there is no other way for them to know to do these things but natural instinct. Just made us talk about how interesting t is.
    Again, having your input made me feel alot less stress. It is really appreciated. Glad i found this site! DSCF2286.JPG DSCF2149 (2).JPG

7. EmberBirb

That’s ok, I mean I love animals but I’m still learning by the second about them. Still learning better ways to care for my own pets! People say it’s all research but it really is learn as you go most of the time. Glad to help. They are very pretty girls

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice