Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice/information on dog KC registration please!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JadeElisabeth, Jul 4, 2018.

1. JadeElisabeth

JadeElisabeth PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to change the colour that your dog is registered as on its KC certificate? The breeder registered my cocker spaniel as ‘sable’ or ‘colour not recognised by the kennel club’ which is obviously undesirable and effects the ability to enter shows with her.. the thing is, she isn’t sable at all, she is completely golden/red.

I want to have this changed on her certificate to reflect her true colour but I don’t know if this can be done? Any help would be appreciated!

Jade

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Have you spoken to the breeder? That would be my first port of call.

speug, Jamesgoeswalkies and Torin. like this.
  3. Dogmatize

Dogmatize PetForums Junior

I have been advised in the past that it is not possible to change the registered colour.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would be surprised if the colour could be changed once the pup is already registered.

The only person who can register a pup is the Breeder, so your only option is to speak to her and ask if she can approach the Kennel Club and say she made a mistake about the colour of the pup initially.

I wouldn't be too hopeful though.

5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Being completely golden/ red now doesn't mean she's not sable. Shaded/ "collie" sable is the most well known, but there's also tipped sable, and clear sable which can look pretty indistinguishable from recessive red dogs as you're saying she must be. More info here: http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/tan.html#sable
    Both shaded and clear sable cocker spaniels are around (no one really talks about tipped sable as a specific thing outside of in-depth colour genetics discussions).

If you're wanting to prove the breeder made a mistake then I would have thought that DNA testing her colour would be the way to go. But I would talk to the breeder because they'll be best placed to know their line.

Sarah H and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I would speak to the breeder, but I doubt that she's made a mistake, she must know enough about the breed to know the colours, but anything is worth a try. :(

7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

This is probably necessary these days if you want to correct a registration mistake. I'd be surprised if the KC refused to amend the reg when faced with DNA evidence. With cats I do know judges who 'know better' than DNA evidence but the registration body accepts it :)

Torin. likes this.
  8. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

You can still show her even if the colour isn't recognised. The judges will not know what colour she officially is, they should just judge what they see in front of them

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I was wondering if the breeder could have registered her as a non-permitted colour to stop you using her as a breeding bitch? But surely there are easier ways to achieve that, just putting on endorsements.

10. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We signed one with both our dogs, if we decided we wanted breed we had to let them know and they would help us find the right breeders, so they could keep the breed strong and health, and not just breed with anyone.

Torin. likes this.
  11. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Yeah definitely - for one thing it'd be the only real way to get evidence to back up the claim! However the labs aren't cheap, so assuming the relationship with the breeder hasn't already been tarnished I wouldn't run straight to it without getting in touch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice