Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice in regards revolting poops please, please.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tara 76, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Tara 76

Tara 76 PetForums Junior

Hi,

I have mentioned before Dotty's rather revolting poops! I have had her to the vets again at another cost of £35 just to be told she is fine in herself etc. etc and some nasty looking medicine of brown looking gloop in a tube.

Dotty is 14 weeks old now and I don't think she has ever had a normal looking poop. They range from mousey to tonight being like a chocolate milkshake all over the floor and smelling ranker than rank :eek:

I did change her food over probably too quickly as I didn't realise it needed to be really gradual so that could explain some of it. I also allowed her to graze but I have been advised by members that it is better to portion out her food 4 times a day. Before I changed her over she was on Wagg Puppy, but again I had read on here that it wasn't good so changed her to Redmills Puppy. However her poops have been 10 times worse so I think I will put her (gradually) back on Wagg.

Can anyone advise on how much and how often? My vets never have scales (it is a little village surgery that they hold for a few hours a week) and guessed at her being around 5.5kg. She is a Cocker Spaniel. Any other advice would be really appreciated as all I seem to do is talk about puppy poops! :rolleyes::

Oh and as a footnote; she is eating mostly everything (mud, cat pooh, socks etc.) and worming, vaccinations all up to date

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Is the brown looking gloop in a tube called pro texin prokolin ? If it is then its very good. That and a resting diet of boiled chicken no skin, or boiled white fish and fresh cooked white rice usually sorts this lot out if they are otherwise well and its something non specific thats causing it. I usually use the resting diet and that until back to normal and maybe for another day to make sure.

Sudden abrupt changes of commercial food can give them loose motions or diarrhoea though so the food change over could have made it worse. You really need to do it over a week at least adding a little more of the new and a little less of the old day by day until fully on the new. Sometimes it takes a while to settle on a new food too, usually you have to keep to a diet for at least 4 preferably 6 weeks.

At her age she should be on 4 meals a day, with her total daily allowance split into 4 equal meals, fed at set times equally spaced apart.

If it carries on though and if she has never had a normal poop, they have always been sloopy and also really smell foul, then it might be an idea to speak to the vet if it carries on about a 3 day faecal test, 3 faecal samples taken on 3 consecutive days as there is less chance of missing anything. This will look for specific persistent bacteria infections, parasites like coccidia and giardia that normal wormers don't do, and things like yeasts. All things that can be not uncommon in puppies.

Over feeding or too much food in one meal can cause them to be loose. Go by the food container, but it is only a guide, different manufacturers food usually recommend different amounts. Often cheaper foods like wagg are filled with bulkers and fillers and lots of things like wheat and maize that a lot of dogs cant cope with, and you usually have to feed higher amounts, then you would for a higher nutritional fully digestible food too.

If she is eating things like cat poop, and mud, she may be re-infecting herself with things like worms and could pick up coccidia giardia and bacterial infections that way too. If she eats things like socks especially whole or in big lumps that can cause intestinal blockage too.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Would add you can get a pretty good idea of her weight if you have an accurate set of bathroom scales. Weigh yourself accurately, then holding her and keeping her still weigh yourself again, then subtract your weight, from the weight holding her and that will give you a pretty good idea. Its obviously not as accurate as weighing her on proper vet scales but it will give you a good approximate idea.

4. muggles

muggles PetForums Newbie

She sounds like when I first had my little dog. She had giardia. It doesn't 'hatch' from eggs regularly and is very difficult to diagnose as it lives under the slime coating of the stomach.

I'd take Sled Dogs advice and ask for fecal sample tests, for giardia it's usually about 3 in a row to try and catch them as they hatch.

I found a diet of chicken (boiled or cooked with a little water in the microwave) and rice to be good to settle the stomach, and once the loose stools have been sorted a better diet of maybe Arden Grange Puppy dry food or Barking Heads Puppy Days.

5. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

At 14 weeks she can have 3 meals a day now. You need to either get her weighed, or get food that give you feeding amounts based on her adult weight and age. The food on the packet, unless its Burns you need to give her around 10% less than they suggest, and it's usually a big range, so you have to almost have a degree to work it out! Overfeeding can cause the runs as puppy just doesn't need so much food.

I can't tell you how much you should be feeding, but I helped the owner of an 8 week Cockerpoo who weighed 2.2kilos (on the kitchen scales!) and we worked out she should be having around 50g a day, split into 4 meals for her as she is under 12 weeks. A lot of people overfeed as a good dry dog food comes in very small portions.

I would put her on chicken/scrambled egg and rice/pasta for a few days to try to give her digestive system a break, then slowly reintroduce the food you want her to eat in correct portions. But go for a better food than wagg when you reintroduce the food. If she's been on chicken and rice for a few days to a week you can just start mixing in the new food (slowly!). And I would find another vet who doesn't 'guess' the weight as if ever your pup needs medication it is usually based on weight so you need an accurate reading!

6. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Hi - have you had a read of the Dry Food Index at the top of this section? SixStar has compiled an excellent comparison of foods. If you choose either a green or at least orange-rated food on there, it will be a great improvement on the Wagg. Something like Arden Grange, Barking Heads, JWB or one of the grain-free puppy foods would be much easier on pup's tum.

James Wellbeloved is readily available in Pets at Home if you need something you can buy locally or if you would consider wet foods, something like Naturediet, Forthglade, Wainwrights wet trays from PAH would be good choices.

#6 henry, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  7. LimeyNR

LimeyNR PetForums Newbie

It sounds like it might be a simple solution for you. The food you are feeding is like eating junk food for every meal. Anything that has cereals in it - especially as one of the first few ingredients - is no good. Lots of dogs are intolerant to cereals, grains, or gluten in general.

Dogs are also not good grazers. Most will eat until they make themselves sick. Runny poos are the first sign of over-eating because their body is processing the food too quickly.

Find the highest quality food you can afford and switch over gradually (7-10 days). In the Dry Food Index at the top of the forum, anything green will do. Remember, the better the food the less you will have to feed. My dogs get 10g of food per kg. Good foods should be about 10-12g/kg. The more protein they get, the less poo you'll see.

This is also a really helpful website to compare foods:
    Which Dog Food.co.uk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice