Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice/Help Required To Save Our Wild Birds.

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by Zaros, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

The autumn has arrived with mean intentions and the native wild birds of Finland are back at our house expecting to be fed.

That's no problem. We have three bird feeding locations sited around the property and as a rule we begin to stock them with food around mid September.

Each feeding station requires refilling every morning and if I am a bit behind their schedule they'll come tapping at the window.:laugh:. Here's the problem

One large window of the house is notorious for claiming many of my feathered friends lives and despite me leaving the WHITE blind in the down position this still does not prevent the birds from smashing into the window.

Three great tits have lost their lives this morning which adds further to the toll of the last few days.

I've tried hanging things in front of the glass but still the deaths occur.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanking you in anticipation of your kind cooperation.

Zaros.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

The RSPB have the following advice, don't know if that's any help.

The RSPB: Advice

3. Zaros

That's brilliant SDH. Thank you.:smile:

I'll try a few of their suggestions and see how things improve over the next few days..

4. Sled dog hotel

The sticker things they sell of the birds don't seem to get the greatest reviews though looking at the page where you order them.

I did know someone who got a hawk statue that did keep small birds away, but trouble was it kept them totally away from the garden although that was probably a much smaller garden/area then the land you probably have. That though would totally defeat the object of you feeding them too if they stayed completely away and wouldn't feed.

5. Zaros

Going on the vertical blinds the RSPB suggest, I've got some old venetians in the garage.

I considered if I attached them to the outside and secured them at the bottom so that they don't flap about in the wind I might be on to a winning solution without any outlay.

Of course the down side is anyone who passes the house and sees the window might think british people really are eccentric:wink:

6. Sled dog hotel

Probably just convince them even more that the british man with the big dogs really has lost the plot.:D

7. Zaros

Excellent! :laugh:

8. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

A lightweight green garden netting used for fruit trees would look a bit better than old venetians...and it's cheap.I use it myself when introducing new birds into my birdroom until they get used to the glass.

9. Zaros

Bloody ell! Even simpler PD.

Now after making new mosquito screens for the doors this summer why the hell didn't I think of it myself:confused1:

Cheers.:thumbup1:

10. Zaros

Just thought I'd update this thread a little to let you know that since I've draped the mosquito netting over the window we've had 0 fatalities but just 2 knockouts.

A miraculous improvement to the 1 to 2 fatailities and several knockouts everyday.:yesnod:

11. Sled dog hotel

Great news and a big difference:thumbup:

12. Zaros

Big difference to our pockets too SDH.

They're pecking their way through almost 10 kilos of seed in a week.

We've had two rather large woodpeckers come to two of the feeding stations and they just throw the seed all over the place.

This of course is greatly appreciated by the red squirrels who come scavenging on a daily basis completely unperturbed by Oscar's loud protests because they're on the opposite side of his fence and they know he can't get at them. :laugh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice