Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice from dally or white doggy owners please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dalpup, May 21, 2010.

1. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

With the hot weather FINALLY appearing I was wondering if I need to consider sun cream for the pooch? He has a pink belly and his muzzle is still pretty pink so I wondered if he need some? Does anybody here use sun cream? If so what do you use?

2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Don't have a white dog but I do have a horse with a pink nose!! :lol: I just use any kids sun block factor 50. My vet told me to not waste my money on specilized animal sun products cos they were exactly the same as the kids ones!!! :thumbup: Currently using one from Lidl that was around £3.50 for a tube and it's doing a fine job!

3. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

thanks :) thats good then I have plenty kids stuff high factor ( I need it more than my kids seeing as my natural skin colour is something like blue :eek:) Buster seems to ADORE being outside in the sun so didnt want to take any chances

4. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

We sun-cream Kodas snout and inside his ears......if he will sit still long enough!

5. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Used to do exactly the same as JSR for my horse! Slapped on some kiddies factor 50+ on the advice of the vet because horsey ones are a rip off (assume doggy ones could be too) :thumbup:

6. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

We had a white cat we used to do her nose and ears with the kids stuff But word of warning The coloured stuff can stain for a while which is sometimes fun lol the cat had Bright pink ears from a tesco kids suncream and another time they were green from the nivea sun cream!

7. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

HAHA!! advice taken we have had enough coloured in dog with a line of felt pen on his head and jam on his fur :rolleyes: (both times hubby has tried to blame the kids and both times they have ratted him out!!)

8. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

This is a good thread, as I have recently adopted a white dog. Dont they lick it off though? And do you just put it on their nose?

Sorry to barge in on your thread.

9. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

i have a black and white spotty hairy hairless chinese crested, he has factor 50 sunscreen on every morning and lunchtime. hth xx

10. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

Barge away ;) I am glad it can help, I remember there being talk about it on TV years ago with regards to albino animals so it triggered me thinking about it with white furred or light animals, think it could be one of those things could be easily missed and yet I think they are just as likely to get skin cancers as we are

11. GoldenShadow

I expect they will lick some off but its better to get a bit on I think. Could always try kiddies waterproof sunscreen then maybe they can't lick it off?!

My horse would go roll and rub his face on the ground but he didn't do too badly with it. Used to keep hold of him for 10 minutes to let it soak in a little and it was only the very tips of his nostrils which got damp that used to get a little blistered once in a while.

12. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Oh Kane know's every trick in the book to get it off his nose!! His stable door is covered in it already this year, I've usually got a white smear down my back where he's got me!! He wanders over to his mates in the field to pretend to groom and just wipes his nose on them!!! :lol:

13. GoldenShadow

:lol:

Simba would smear it all down your cheek before you even had chance to turn around :laugh:

He actually had a grass muzzle on for a lot of summer so unless he managed to get it off he didn't do too badly. It was only his nose which was pink skinned too, can't imagine how sore it must be for the poor few with pink pigmentation around their eyes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice