Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice for Oakley

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Chik, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Chik

Chik PetForums Newbie

A few days ago, I adopted a puppy who is about 5 weeks old. Obviously too young to be away from mother but because of certain circumstances, she had to be. I wasn't actually supposed to get her til April/May but life is uncertain sometimes and I'm now raising a black lab puppy. We named her Oakley. She is adorable and has quite the personality already. However, and I don't know if it's the breed or the age, very clumsy. I think we described her as a potato with legs at one point

I write to you all, because I need advice. We did expect to be up at night with her. But we would like to have any information and advise regarding making her transition into our home less stressful. She's up at night about every hour or two. we did invest in some milk replacement just to try to give her what she would have gotten for the next week or two had she been able to stay with mom. I also bought chewy high protein puppy chow in hopes that might help, and she does nibble at them. Is there any advice one might offer to a very tired dog mom?

She does have an older brother, his name is Ranger and he is a 3lb chihuahua who isn't quite sure what to make of the little potato following him around all day lol Snapchat-984148627.jpg Snapchat-1451912826.jpg Snapchat-1347077384.jpg Snapchat-1156456978.jpg

#1 Chik, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome
    Out of curiosity, what circumstances led to having to separate a 5 week old from mum?

We raised a puppy estimated 4 or 5 weeks after he was found with dead littermates and no mom in sight. Just a heads up, these kind of puppies don't tend to grow up in to normal dogs. At best you're looking at some significant quirks.

At 5 weeks she would be mostly weaned anyway, no need for puppy milk. A good complete puppy food, either wet, or dry softened with warm water if she seems to need it softened, she may not.

Sorry, but you're going to be up for a while.
    My best advice is to put her in the bed with you. She will sleep better with contact from another body, and when she needs out she will stirr, wake you, take her out quietly no fuss, let her wee, then back in bed.
    Eventually she can transition to a bed on the floor and/or a crate in your bedroom, but for now since she's so little and it's going to be a while before she can make it through the night, just put her in bed with you. I've done this for years with young puppies, never had one have an accident in the bed.

She's going to need to learn dog skills from a dog, so it's good you have another dog, but you may want to ask around with qualified trainers/behaviorists to see if you can set up some controlled meetings with stable adult dogs to teach her to be a dog.

Burrowzig, niamh123, Sarah H and 3 others like this.
  3. Chik

Chik PetForums Newbie

The mother began doing quite poorly, they ended up having to intervene to prevent something happening to her. She only had two pups in her litter but they were kept outside.

Even before we got Oakley (assuming we would get her at 8-10 weeks old) we had intended for her to take obedience courses due to her rather large breed, we wanted to be sure that she would be a happy healthy lady. My parents also have a few dogs, so she'll grow up around them as well. But we will be doing obedience classes to ensure we can provide her with a healthy way of learning.

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

That doesn't mean the pups had to be rehomed, pups should have stayed together a few more weeks at least.
    Was this a rescue situation or from a breeder?

Torin. and LinznMilly like this.
  5. Chik

Chik PetForums Newbie

Pretty much a rescue situation, because when mom started to do badly and the pups stopped suckling, the person who has mom decided the pups needed to leave. So I ended up with Oakley way sooner than I anticipated.

I ended up here to get advice to help give this pup a fighting chance. She's a good girl and deserves to get a healthy life.

EDIT- Plus, both pups had sores in their ears.

#5 Chik, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry but this doesn't sound right. The breeder could have kept the pups, they don't need to be suckling still at 5 weeks. And it's illegal to let pups go before 6 weeks I believe. This breeder needs to be reported.

Of course Oakley should be given a chance but you can't overlook that there is still a poorly bitch with a dodgy breeder and perhaps other dogs who need someone to advocate for them too. Please report this breeder to the relevant authorities.

Oakley needs to go get her first vet check, she probably has a worm load, and she'll need her ears checked as well. She's too young for her first vaccination but you can talk to her vet about that as well.

Sorry, I meant to mention the clumsiness - she's still very young and learning her legs if you will so some clumsiness is completely to be expected. If you think she isn't moving right though I would definitely have the vet take a look as that too.

niamh123, Sarah H, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice