Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice for new cat mother

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by WallsendJan, Apr 30, 2011.

1. WallsendJan

WallsendJan PetForums Junior

I'm glad I found this site as all the info I could find was for pregnant cat and then the new kittens. I need advice on postnatal care for the mother. She's eating and drinking, using her litter but waits till she's desperate before she goes, and when she does, we certainly know about it. She isn't leaking much blood now but the first few days she sort of spotted, not loads but I didn't know how much and for how long is classed as normal. Vet says she's doing a great job but I still worry about her. I've got her on good kitten food. Should I give her kitten milk or just keep her on water?

2. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome. There's no need to panic as long as both the mother and the kittens seem to be contented. The litter tray thing is just what some of them do, I had one who only used the tray approximately every 36 hours because she just did not want to "go" near the kittens and she was in a kitten pen. The tray went from perfectly clean straight to absolutely disgusting. It's very very common for cats not to want to use a tray near the kittens and it's also very very common for them not to want to leave the kittens, especially for the first day or two.

If you can move the tray further away, such as into another room, even though that sounds counter-intuitive because it's further for her to go and therefore she is further away from them, she's probably be more willing to use it normally. But if not, don't worry too much.

Blood spotting is entirely normal.

There's no need for milk, though equally if you want to give it to her (as long as it's proper milk for cats, otherwise she may well get the runs) then that's fine too.

Try not to worry, it sounds as if you are doing absolutely fine.

Liz

3. WallsendJan

Thanks for that Liz. I've moved the litter tray to where it used to be because she simply wouldn't go when it was close to the kittens. It is kitten milk from the pet shop that we got her but she seems to prefer water today. And we put out dry kitten food and wet and today she prefers the dry. She obviously knows what her body needs. I wasn't sure if I'd get a 'telling off' for letting this happen. Hats off to all you who breed professionally, I certainly couldn't do it. I'm a quivering wreck. Tink is as calm as anything. Thanks again. x

4. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Jan...perhaps I should be the one who steps in and gives you the telling off that you had a feeling you were due.

Frankly, you've been damn irresponsible. So far you've gotten off very lightly, but how much longer you'll get away with it I have no idea.

I can't be the only member who has noticed either and you're obviously well aware yourself as a grown up woman that your behaviour leaves alot to be desired!

How can you let your cat have kittens.......................and NOT POST ANY PHOTOS?

:D :D :D

LOL. And while you're at it, take a photo of a pease pudding stottie for me, a fellow geordie who misses his pease pudding now that he no longer lives in the North East!
    ;)

5. Riobelle

Riobelle PetForums Junior

Hey are you in Newcastle? Close to me :001_smile:

water should be fine just make sure she has plenty as feeding kittens is thirsty work. weigh the kittens morning and night and they should be gaining 10g every 24 hours. Once they are a little older you can start trying to find trusted homes. They will need to stay with mum until they are 13 weeks old and please don't sell them to the pet shop- much better for you to meet their new owners :001_smile: You girl can be spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned. You'll find lots of information by looking through old threads.
    Good luck xxx

6. Louise Marsh

Louise Marsh PetForums Member

Awesome post! Made me laugh today finally :) Thank you

7. WallsendJan

Thanks for that, I needed it didn't I? No, seriously, there's nothing anyone can say that I haven't said to myself. I will put a photo on, they're all so gorgeous. There's no way they'd go to a pet shop. My vet will recommend people but, so far, they're going to family. And cats protection, who were great with their advice during the labour and delivery, are going to help if needed. I'll certainly be keeping them with mum till they're at least 10 weeks. How I'll let them go I don't know. I'll take a photo of a stottie as soon as there's one in the house long enough before my sons demolish them.

Attached Files:

8. WallsendJan

This is my favourite photo so far. This little lad, Jeffrey, is always cuddled up in mums paws. He's the smallest but doesn't get pushed around. Tink looks happy to let him cuddle in. She's smiling a distinctly smug smile.
    That didn't work........

#8 WallsendJan, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  9. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

All reds! Have you got both sexes?

Liz

10. WallsendJan

I think we may have a little girl too. Def 3 boys, #4 is a little hard to tell just now. Apparently ginger girls are rare. She'll be getting speyed as soon as she's old enough but she'll be going to my daughter so I know she's in safe hands.

11. WallsendJan

Let's see if I can get this pic on yet:rolleyes::
    Nope, can't get it.

#11 WallsendJan, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  12. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Are you trying to upload the photo Jan? Perhaps it's too big and needs to be resized?

Try uploading it here instead and then give us the link...ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Your kittens look gorgeous...and so many of the same colour too. That's unusual.

How many are you keeping?

13. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

if you email it to me ill put it on for you!!!!!1

14. GeordieBabe

GeordieBabe PetForums Senior

lovely mum and kittens, and welcome from another fellow geordie :D

15. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Ha'way the geordies!!!

:D

16. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

Really lovely little family you have there. I love ginger cats.

17. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

It's strawberry blonde!

:p

Biawhiska likes this.
  18. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

:D oooh i do apologise :eek:

19. WallsendJan

Thanks you lovely people. Reet, in me native tongue, al hev a bash it deein it again. I've got one with his eyes open looking a bit confused and vulnerable.
    On a serious note, I you tubed some video's yesterday looking for mother cats feeding kittens and came upon this idiot who filmed 3 little girls playing in the middle of the floor with 7 kittens. The kittens were 6 days old:mad: and the poor mother cat was frantic trying to rescue them. I would only look at it if your brave because the image stays with you and makes you want to run over to USA and beat the living daylights out of the bloke doing the filming.

20. WallsendJan

little Jeffrey with his new eyes....

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice