Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice for me and my puppy!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mattgunner2005, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Mattgunner2005

Mattgunner2005 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have a 9 week old Maltese, shin tzu cross and I am feeding him on the raw meat diet which he seems to love, a lot more than dry food!! Advice or opinions please.
    I am also looking for some good treats for him to use with training, he is doing well but think he could do with more incentive.
    I have heard that apple cider vinegar in his water is good for tear stains, have bought some but would like more advice before I do it.
    Anymore advice on grooming, training etc would be great!
    Many thanks

2. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

As long as you have researched raw feeding (have you seen this sticky in the Health & Nutrition section http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/111437-raw-feeding-everything-you-need-know.html) and fully understand it so that your pup will get all it's nutritional needs, and are introducing new meats slowly, then stick to raw. Some PF members have weaned their pups straight onto raw so no problem with your 9 week old pup having it.

For training treats I use hot dog sausages, the tinned ones with brine washed off, dried with kitchen roll, cut into small pieces and open freeze. When frozen pop them into a container, take out a small amount when needed, pop back in the freezer any that are left after your training session. Or you could get some liver and dry it slowly in the oven, again keep in freezer.

Apple cider vinegar - have you got the raw stuff with the "mother" in? There was a thread about this recently but this is the sort of stuff you want Dynamic Health, Apple Cider Vinegar with " Mother", Organic, 16 fl oz (473 ml) | eBay. I put a capful into Poppy's water fountain (holds about a litre) but it hasn't made any difference. I may start adding some to her food instead.

Not sure about grooming needs for your pup. I have a Bichon and she is brushed every day and that keeps her tangle/mat free. If you pup's coat is prone to matting then keep on top of it, it's not fair to the dog or the groomer if it's left to mat, it hurts the dog to try and get them out and you may end up with a groomer having to clip the coat right down if it gets really bad.

Start getting your pup used to a brush now if you've not done so already. You could start with a soft one, let pup sniff it at first, lay it by his side, let him get used to it, then just gently brush his back for a minute or two. Build up gradually. If he will need regular grooming, my groomer likes to have them from about 4 months, just for a bath and the experience first so that they get used to the environment, noise, etc., of the grooming salon.

Lots of training vids on YouTube, search for Kikopup, she has some good ones.

By the way, it sounds as though your pup is seriously cute so pics are a must, in fact puppy pics are compulsory :D.

Welcome to the forum, please tell us pup's name.

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF - in terms of training, there are some good stickies in the Training and Behaviour section of the forum.

My opinion on the raw diet is that it is the best that you can give a dog. I also give ACV to my dog who doesn't get tear stains for other reasons - but a friend swears by it for her white dog.

You could try tiny pieces of ham, hotdog or cheese for treats or make some liver cake perhaps? Dried liver, kidney or heart once you have progressed to feeding those.

Grooming - no idea!! Mine just needs a quick massage with a rubber mitt now and again :D.

4. Mattgunner2005

Mattgunner2005 PetForums Newbie

Hi, thanks so much for your replies and advice, I have started using a brush with 'Buddy' and he seems happy for me to use it on him, I am also touching his ears, paws, mouth etc to get them used to being touched and he doesn't mind that either!
    I will try and put a pic on here soon when I work out how!!
    Thanks for the link for the ACV by the way.
    I am going to try the hotdog for training, seems a popular choice as some or most of the treats I've seen in shops are for age 3 months and above!
    Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice