Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice for dog poop scoop device

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RK1, Mar 10, 2021.

1. RK1

RK1 PetForums Newbie

Hello, my name is Rohan and I am currently working on the design of a dog poop scoop device that will make a more user-friendly experience when walking dogs and collecting poo. I have considered some features about the design thus far and in the process some questions have arisen, especially because I don’t own a dog myself. If you guys could give me some advice and insight as dog owners that would be fantastic!

• How many times does a dog poo during a walk?
    • Approximate size of dog poo (for different dogs)
    • Do dogs poo in specific places?
    • Any particular characteristics desired for a poop scooper (e.g. attachment to lead for convenience)?
    • Do dog poo bags need to be tied before being thrown away?
    • Would it be useful if the poop scoop could be folded or reduced in length so that it could carried around in a bag (this could potentially be at the expense of having a lid on the collecting end).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If you are using a device, is this going to be a help for those with disabilities?

As a led bodied, am one of those dog walkers who doesn't even like those plastic bone shaped things that people have attached to leads. I preopen bags at home, scrunch and put them in my pocket and away I go.

It might be of use if you talk to @kimthecat
    It also might be useful to talk to @ForestWomble forgive me if am wrong but has a dog poop scooper already and can explain how it works, why it's a lifeline and what if anything could improve it

#2 lullabydream, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2021
    niamh123 and kimthecat like this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

MY OH picks up the poo :D

My small dogs do small poops and if they do them in long grass I dont think a scooper would be much help. I wouldnt want to carry a scooper as they look cumbersome.

#3 kimthecat, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    LinznMilly and lullabydream like this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

My OH does at weekends or when he's off work and walks with me. It isn't something that bothers me but he's always got something on with pockets so it's just become his job... Oh he also whinges every time likes it's the first time he's ever done it before in his life. I do think an inbetweener character could have been created after him too.. But we don't say that often as he goes rather sulky!

kimthecat likes this.
  5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The poop scooper I have is already perfect. It's my hand inside a poo bag.
    And if you want to put the filled bag in council bins, yes they do have to be tied.

kimthecat likes this.
  7. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

My boy likes to poop in long grass but he would far rather poop on something spikey or twiggy or a big old bunch of stinging nettles :eek:

kimthecat likes this.
  8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

:Hilarious and brambles.

MontyMaude likes this.
  9. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

My dog's preferred area is grass, but will go on pavement, my pooper scooper works in both areas. I like mine because you can fit a few bags on the end so your not having to 'load' the scooper each time.
    Changes I would make are I'd like to be able to change the length somehow, make it smaller for carrying and longer to reach poo that is further away/in an area you can't reach/get to.
    Yes, poo bags need to be tied.

kimthecat likes this.
  10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

• How many times does a dog poo during a walk? 1-2 times
    • Approximate size of dog poo (for different dogs) Small. About the size of a fun-size Milky Way chocolate bar
    • Do dogs poo in specific places? Long grass is often a favourite, but she always goes off the path to do it.
    • Any particular characteristics desired for a poop scooper (e.g. attachment to lead for convenience)? Something that I can easily shove in my pocket. I don't like things attached to the lead.
    • Do dog poo bags need to be tied before being thrown away? Yes
    • Would it be useful if the poop scoop could be folded or reduced in length so that it could carried around in a bag (this could potentially be at the expense of having a lid on the collecting end). Whatever I use has to be easy to carry around.
    Tbh I don't think I would change what I use already. I don't like the idea of carrying a scooper round that may get used multiple times on a walk and will have to be cleaned. I'm quite happy using bags, but I don't have mobility issues so perhaps I am the wrong person to ask.

kimthecat likes this.
  11. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I work for a company that manufactures poop scoops. I use mine in the garden. It has a trigger handle and a scoop with teeth on the bottom. You can load bags on to it and secure them with an elastic tie, I don't bother with the bags I just wash it off after, it's pretty good. When out and about though just use a bag and my hand. We do supply the scoop in a 16" length handle version so it's quite Handy.. In fact it's called Handiscoop!

12. JoanmarieMas

JoanmarieMas PetForums Newbie

I don't have a scoop, I use a bag and hand, in the garden I use a bucket and spade with a poo bag in the bucket. I tie it up and put it in the poo bin. When that's fill up I tie the bin bag then put it in the general bin. Mind you I only have a little JRT.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice