Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice for cat who is back after 3 months

Discussion in 'Lost and Found Cats' started by wattsy79!, Dec 6, 2018.

1. wattsy79!

wattsy79! PetForums Newbie

Hello, I managed to find my cat after 3 long months...via posters, flyers and facebook. If anyone needs any advice I have lots :)
    When we found him he recognised our voice came bounding up for cuddles and shot into his cat carrier negging to go home. The behaviour over the next couple of days was clingy, needy, cuddly and exhausted sleeping in front of the fire, eating loads (he'd lost 1.5 kg form 6Kg) and cuddled us all intensly, to the point when I had work the next day I got my dad to cat sit to keep him company. He lay on my dad all day, purring away and cuddling.
    We are 2 weeks in now, his eating has returned to normal, he is still sleeping loads but the purring has stopped, like he hasn't for days at all. He's still sleeping a lot. The vet gave him all the all clear health wise and he's not showing any signs of stress. I bought him a new radiator bed and he seems very chilled out but the non purring is not like him. We have another cat here who he was never a fan of, not bad fights they just aren't best of friends but share the house well keeping a distance form one another generally.
    I know there was a feral he was hanging out with on the turkey farm, could he be missing him? He seems a little depressed, not sure??
    I would really appreciate any advice in change sof cat behaviour from anyone who has found themselves in the same situation

thanks

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Sorry no real advice, just didn't want to read and run. Firstly fantastic news that he's back, well done for your persistence in looking for him, it really paid off! I'm not sure about the lack of purring etc, maybe it's just that after three months your other cat has sort of taken over his "territory" i.e. the house, and may be giving off subtle signs to him that he's not entirely welcome back as far as your other cat is concerned, so he may be being a little wary while they re-establish their own order of things. The house may smell slightly different to him too, causing him to not be 100% relaxed yet. It's good that you've taken him to the vet to rule out health issues. Maybe a Feliway plugin or some Beaphar calming spot-on etc might help? Hopefully someone with more experience of this sort of thing can give advice!

3. Islander

Islander PetForums Junior

Just wait and love him? when my wee girl came home afte r 2 months missing she was the same. sat on my chest and talked and purred all night... then back to normal... two weeks is a little time for him to get over it all.. just watch and wait. as long as they are eating i do that as clearly everything is functioning. Oh just seen the date of your post; how is he doing now?

4. Carika

Carika PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Just seen your post. I know talking about it won't really help but our cat has been missing for 5-6 days now. He has never disappeared before and I don't know what to do. Not sure if he is stuck, hurt, just wandering about or with someone else. It feels like I am not doing enough. I am physically and mentally exhausted. I have put up posters and have tried to put flyers in boxes but some people had a go at me. Any advice :(

5. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice