UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Follow me on @popuppetstop on insta
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following my thread yesterday about Holly
http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/267940-i-hope-we-end-up-her.html
i want to be prepared for if we do have her was speaking to my sis in law and she thinks her dad won't be able to cope with her and said she thinks we will have her and this was before i told her i felt i was plotting dognap and secretly want her :p

so how would we go about introducing her to the house ect she is about 7 years old and a border Collie

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just giving this a bump for you :) I got some excellent advice on adding a second dog to the house when I asked. Might be worth having a look? I'm sure someone will reply with some advice :D

·
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just going to look at it now nothing is set in stone and i hope holly will be happy wherever she is just want to be prepared for if we do have her

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Are you likely to be getting her imminently or will you be taking her for walks / having her stay over at first. I would say try walking them together first and letting them bond. Also are they both/either spayed? We took on a 5 year old 'chorkie' bitch when my mum died. We had a 9/10 year old (spayed) Staffy bitch who had never been aggressive but we worried at first 'just in case'. We even bought a crate but didn't need it. There are lots of articles on line but to be honest I would say just watch them at first - will be easier if they already have a relationship. We made sure that our dog was given lots of attention too so that there was no jealousy and we really didn't have any problems.

·
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you likely to be getting her imminently or will you be taking her for walks / having her stay over at first. I would say try walking them together first and letting them bond. Also are they both/either spayed? We took on a 5 year old 'chorkie' bitch when my mum died. We had a 9/10 year old (spayed) Staffy bitch who had never been aggressive but we worried at first 'just in case'. We even bought a crate but didn't need it. There are lots of articles on line but to be honest I would say just watch them at first - will be easier if they already have a relationship. We made sure that our dog was given lots of attention too so that there was no jealousy and we really didn't have any problems.
we will have holly if my OH dad can not cope with her as he works very long hours we just all have a feeling that me and my OH we end up with her.

we will be walking them together when OH dad is in work Cali has not be spayed she is only 6 months and holly hasn't either and she is 7/8 but if we were to have her thats one of the first things i would be doing is taking her the vet for this to be done

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I didn't realise Cali was so young. I can't see you having many problems as long as Holly doesn't usually have issues with other dogs.

·
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't realise Cali was so young. I can't see you having many problems as long as Holly doesn't usually have issues with other dogs.
yep cals is only a pup still
holly and cali have met and holly wasn't all that fussed not aggressive or anything just didn't seem bothered by her, as long as holly is happy i am happy but i am secretly hoping we have her :)

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
We had Harvey a year before adding chance to the family.

We took Harv to the rescue to meet chance and took them for a walk and a play in an enclosed area.

When we got chance home we took them both for a long walk before they went in the house and then they went in the house together and have been brilliant ever since.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I did this the other day it was tailored to that persons situation but the basics are there for meeting and integrating in the early days so should be some help generally.

As a 13month entire male he isnt going to have a puppy licence and is a young adult. Your doing the right thing letting them meet and play on neutral territory, but home turf can sometimes be a different thing. Ive had 3 adult females at one time introduced at various times, ages 4, 5 then a 15mth old.
The first two were already spayed before I got them from the rescue, the youngest wasnt so a simlar sort of situation although dont know if your other two are neutered or not? So could be a little more tricky if they are not and he is as well.

If dogs are ging to kick off and compete then the usual main triggers are, Food, toys, treats like chews, attention, confined spaces and times of hyper excitement like leads coming out for walks, visitors coming, and door bells ringing. So what i do when introducing and integrating them is to be wary of these triggers that can set them off and deal with them accordingly. When you bring a new dog in, often you dont also see their full personalities emerging until at least probably 2/3 weeks down the line sometimes even more, so those first few weeks especially you need to be careful, being over causious is better then being under at least until you know whats what and get them intergrated and fully accepted. Bringing a pup in is different to a sexually mature adolsecent or young adult, Older dogs tend to accept more from a pup in the main and wont accept so much off an older dog.

I always give them there forever place to eat as soon as they arrive. If you have baby gates then use those to separate them, give them a wide margin of space to eat, supervise and dont allow eyeing up each others bowls, approaching each others bowls even when empty, bowls up and gone before allowing them free access to each other as well. Be careful of dropped food, animal or human when they are all together, both going for a piece of dropped food can set off a squabble.

With toys, chews and treats, dont leave them lying about for the same reason, if you are giving them supervised only, make sure everyone has a wide margin of space, and again remove them when unattended or when they all start to lose interest.

Vying for attention can also cause squabbles with some dogs, so dont overfuss them especially the new one when the others are present.

Also watch them in confined spaces, like all trying to get out of a door together, narrow halls of places where they have to jump over each other or pass close too, that can set some dogs off, so just be aware of those situations.

Times of hyper excitement too like door bells ringing, visitors coming an leads coming out for walks, can hyper some dogs up, and in a heightened aroused state, grumbling and shoving can sometimes set off a squabble.

As said a lot may well be over cautious and may not be needed but it should avoid any possible problems that may set them off. A lot depends on the individual dogs and personalities and depending on what you have already and what he is like he could fit straight in its possible. But doesnt hurt.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
We've added 2 dogs to the household even though we had Emma who is dog aggressive. We have been lucky though. To start with SDH has covered the basics well. We let a new dog explore the house without any other dog being present. Long walks together with two people also helps as you can control distances to be in both dog's comfort zones. As Emma is aggressive we have always kept her on a lead, even in the house, until we are confident of the situation which could be around a week although normally for us it's only been a couple of days. It helps that Emma is my OH's dog through and through whereas I normally "have" the other dogs.

If an OH is around be sure to have a plan on how to break up any fight. Hopefully it will not happen but if it does it's scary. A bit of planning beforehand can reduce risks, both to your dogs and yourself and if there are two of you it helps to be on the same page.

Just posted http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat...i-feel-so-bad-right-now-2.html#post1062357646 which may be of help but you may want review the whole thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.