Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice/experience needed!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jds_, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jds_

jds_ PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I have been looking into rehoming a rabbit for a while, I've done lots of research and feel that I am ready to adopt.
    Initially I was just going to adopt one male rabbit (7 months old, neutered) to keep as a house rabbit, which I am hoping to collect next week.
    However, another rabbit (12 months old, spayed) has just come up for adoption very nearby to the one that I will be collecting.
    I have seen mixed opinions on keeping single house rabbits, so thought that maybe this would be the perfect opportunity to give them both a new rabbit companion as well as a new home! It would be a mixed pair, which from what I have read seems to be the easiest to bond. Additionally, as they would both be coming to a new home the issue of territory may not be a problem due to it being 'neutral ground'.
    Basically I wanted to get some advice from more experienced rabbit owners as to whether this would be a good idea, or whether I should just take it slow and stick to the original plan of getting one.
    I have considered the financial implications, and have enough space for both rabbits, however wasn't sure whether bonding is easier when one rabbit at least already has a relationship with me as the owner.
    I have not kept rabbits before (but as I said I have done lots of research into keeping them), and I have a lot of experience keeping other pets including hamsters, mice, guinea pigs and a dog.
    Thank you in advance for any advice/tips you may have!
    JDS

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Are both buns coming from proper rescues where they will be fully vet checked before coming home with you? If being acquired privately, they will need quarantining for a few weeks.

Do lots of reading on bonding, there's many methods and what works for one pair may be entirely different for another. There's also a chance these two do not have compatible personalities so have a back up plan!

Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

Bonding - when/if you bring both buns home you should set up individual enclosures for them in the same room, but with a wall in between so they can’t see each or meet each other, allow them to get used to you and their surroundings after a week or so change the barrier between them so they can see each other but not touch, allow them to live like this for another week or so then start the bonding process in a neutral space away from their enclosures. (I’m sure you already know about the bonding process, so I’le skip that bit) then once they are friends and bonded wash their separate enclosures with water and vinegar to remove the smell and make it neutral again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice