Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice desperately needed.... new member!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Charlotte Everitt, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Charlotte Everitt

Charlotte Everitt PetForums Newbie

Good evening everyone!

Hope you are all well! I'm looking for a bit of advice! I have a 13 week old pug/shih tzu cross (3/4pug). We have had the pleasure of her company for 3 weeks now but has been very very poorly. 48 hours after getting her she ended up in emergency surgery after she had eaten adult dog biscuits at the breeders! (She had only had wet food with us) they had to go into her tummy and remove the food which had turned so hard it was like a rock!

Thankfully due to the wonderful care she had she beat the odds and has pulled through. For the past 2 weeks she has been on recovery food which has been a massive battle to get her to eat! We had to add chicken and hand feed it to her (I know we have made a rod for our own back here). Last weekend she refused to eat anything... she was at my mums as we were at a wedding and my mum was worried so gave her James Wellbeloved puppy sensitive stomach food which she has devoured ever since! She has eaten the most she has ever eaten since we got her... pooing 4/5 times a day and weeing nicely! However she hasn't put on any weight although her height has doubled since we brought her home! The vet would like her to eat dry (soaked) food but for the past 2 days she has completely refused it! The vet said I have to be persistent which I have been but she just won't eat it! Even with added chicken (her favourite).

I'm in a catch 22 position in the sense that with the massive surgery I want her to eat her Perscription food but at the same time I just want her to eat! She loves the james wellbeloved food! I dont want to go against the vet but I hate seeing her hungry! I've given in tonight and gave her the wet food... she must have been starving as I had to take it away to slow her down!

If anyone has any advice I would be very very grateful! I apologise for the long post!!

Lots of love Charlie and little Nala!

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Firstly I don't understand why she had to have emergency surgery over eating adult food? That must be an anomaly. Or surely the breeder is at fault if she's eaten way too much? What did her breeder say?

Secondly why a vet would be recommending dry food when there is really good quality complete wet foods available, and usually after surgery vets usually prefer to wet foods to be given during the healing process.

So am a little confused over the whole thing.

Sairy, ouesi, Albatross and 8 others like this.
  3. Yvonne Christian

Yvonne Christian PetForums Newbie

Having read your post with great interest & sympathy the best advice I would give you is to get your fur baby to a different vet now and start again with her recovery mode, the lack of treatment & correct medication by your present vet is not helping, in my opinion this is a more urgent matter & I would also be suing the breeder to retrieve veterinary fees, sure hope you have pet insurance.
    Cheers from N.Z. I wish you both well.
    ps I should add that I have had 40yrs in the New Zealand veterinary service.

#3 Yvonne Christian, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  4. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

I am so sorry to hear about your poor pup and can only echo what lullabydream and Yvonne have said above and get yourself either to a new vet or if you have one near go to a veterinary hospital or the PDSA asap. Your pup can't help herself she is relying on you to help her.

Sairy likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would not sue the breeder. All sounds most odd and just bad luck over the food. There was no such thing as puppy food not that long ago. If she seems well I would feed her the wet food, which must be better for her anyway. Feed her small amounts several times a day and hopefully she will start to put on weight. I would be tempted to get a different vet, even in the same practice, to discuss food options and ask why on earth dry food is better for a puppy after gut surgery than a nice soft wet food. I see nothing wrong with feeding chicken as well if she will eat it and it will help her put on weight.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Sue the Breeder? What for?

Sometimes, dogs eat things they shouldn't, however vigilant we are, and particularly puppies.

I would feed the pup small amounts of wet food four times a day. I struggle to see why dried food is preferable.

7. Yvonne Christian

Yvonne Christian PetForums Newbie

On second thoughts my suggestion to Charlie to sue the breeder was not necessary really , I do apologize, it just put my hackles up (pun intended) immediately when I read what had happened and my thoughts at that time was to sue the breeder for negligence.

8. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

I'm confused too... You say the puppy needed a surgery to remove adult dog food from her stomach??... but that only happened 48 hours after you brought her home? Did you not feed her for 48 hours since bringing her from the breeders? Even adult food should not take 48 hours to digest.

9. MaggiesMom

MaggiesMom PetForums Senior

I would say the pup ate something else that exacerbated this, not just the food.
    Anyhow, I would continue with the james wellbeloved if the pup is happy with it. Regardless of what others may say, if you dog is doing on well it I see no reason to change.

Sairy and Charlotte Everitt like this.
  10. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Pup eats James wellbeloved. So feed that. If pup needs to put on weight, feed more of it.

Sairy and Charlotte Everitt like this.
  11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I think it's not that the pup ate adult food, but that it gorged on dry food which then swells inside the stomach to the point where the stomach can tear.
    A dog I know - an adult border collie - gorged on dried food (puppy food, as it happens) a couple of weeks ago and was hospitalised on a drip. Adult dogs have died from gorging.

I'm sure wet food would be better during the recovery though.

12. Charlotte Everitt

Thanks so much! It was gorging! Sorry I didn't really make that clear but it was looked at and it was deemed to be adult dog food. After 5 days continuing the wet food she has put on weight and absolutely loves it!

Sairy, Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. Charlotte Everitt

Thank you all so much for your help! After speaking st length with our vet (and another for a second opinion) the vet has said yes continue with the food she wants! She has put on weight and has hit the 2kg mark which is brilliant! We all thought the same about the adult food... how can that be the case.... but it was tested! As for the breeder.... I contacted him purely just to check that all of the other puppies were healthy! I'm not interested in seeking anything from him... I just want Nala to be happy and healthy! Fingers crossed after a course of antibiotics for a urine infection (seems never ending... but it's all related according to both vets) she will continue to be a bright and happy pup! Hopefully the back tracking with puppy training because of the infection will alleviate quickly! Any advice on things besides the antibiotics that will help will be greatly appreciated! Xxxx

14. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

so glad Nala is on the mend, after all this she will probably grow up to be the most feisty healthy happy little dog you ever met

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice