Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice, Beddy Whippet Puppy Jumping Up

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Francesca Barton, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Francesca Barton

Francesca Barton PetForums Newbie

Hi, just wondering if anyone can offer me guidance/tips on how to prevent/stop my buddy whippet (adorable) puppy from jumping up on furniture. Don't want to turn it into a game...just not sure what is best. We have had her for 1.5 weeks, she is 9.5 weeks old now. I am very aware that if I do not try and put down ground rules, it could just become a bit harder as she gets older and gets into a habit. Thank you for reading my post.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Have her wear a harness with a longish, light lead (no handle) on it. You can then remove her from jumping on furniture (or anything else you don't want her to do) without confrontation or making it exciting. As you gently pull her off, say 'off'. Later, once the association between the word 'off' and getting off something is formed in her mind, you can use it as a command.
    Reward her for being on the floor.

niamh123 likes this.
  3. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Yup, the secret is to make the floor the far more exciting and rewarding place to be than the furniture. It's party time on the floor, but it's boring and you don't get much attention at all when you're jumping all over the furniture (that includes frantic people flapping arms and demand the dog get down, all attention is good at this point from the dog's perspective).

There's a good little video here on the Dogs Trust website about how to stop dogs jumping up on people as well:
    https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/training/jumping-up-training

Tallinn likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice