Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice after our poor puppy died.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by CarlD, Jul 14, 2017.

1. CarlD

CarlD PetForums Newbie

Hi all. First post - I'm after some advice.

We had a terrible experience last week. We purchased our first ever dog last Monday - a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He was a beautiful little boy and had a lovely temperament and was perfectly behaved - especially considering he was only 11 weeks old.

In short, we had him put to sleep on Sunday after having him home less than 6 days. If I consider all the symptoms, it looks like it was distemper. If this is the case, based upon the incubation period of the virus, he came to us with this illness. His symptoms were runny eyes, runny nose, mild diahorrea, siezures (only in the last 12 hours, qty 4 with each getting much worse), temperature, lack of appetite. He also had blood in his lungs which may have been due to a secondary infection brought on as a result of the primary.

We were besotted with this lovely dog and my family is heart broken. It's unbelievable how much love we built up for him in just a few days.

I've made the decision to try again and purchase another puppy - same breed. This time I will be buying from a very reputable breeder that I have had recommended.

My concerns are around bringing the puppy home into an environment which has recently housed a poorly pup. Time wise it will probably be in 6 weeks time, so 7 weeks since a poorly pup. I obviously want to do everything I can to ensure we don't have the same problem and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I can do to help reduce the risk. My wife is bleaching all surfaces etc. but what about material things like cushions / sofa, walls etc.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

2. jhosk1981

jhosk1981 PetForums Junior

So sorry to hear that, I am sure someone will be on soon to give you some expert advice.

If it's any consolation, it's probably better for you and your family that it happened very quickly, we have had our little fella for about 4 months now, the bond grows stronger and stronger by the day, so the pain would of been much much worse for you.

Keep smiling and good luck with your search!

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The vet should be able to tell you what the safe interval should be on the basis of what he/she diagnosed. To be on the safe side, I'd want the next puppy to have been vaccinated before bringing it home - at least first vaccines plus a week for them to take effect.
    And sorry about the pup that died. What has the breeder you got him from had to say about it? Many people in that situation go to Trading Standards if you haven't been given a refund.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

So very sorry to hear about your puppy. If it was definitely canine distemper this may help. Its from the MSD Animal health website on canine Distemper.

Who is at risk?
    Dogs less than one year of age are most commonly affected. However, those animals that have not been vaccinated or have weakened immune systems are also susceptible.

How is it spread?
    The main source of infection is by inhalation of aerosol droplets during close dog-to-dog contact. Signs can take up to three weeks to appear. The virus cannot survive easily in the environment and can be killed by most household disinfectants.

The full article is here
    http://www.future-of-vaccination.co.uk/distemper-disease-dogs.asp

I would though speak to your vet for advice, on prevention and if there is a period that's best to wait before introducing another dog.

5. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

That's so sad. I can't give any advice but much love to your family and I'm sure you'll have many happy years with the next pup x

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

What is your Vet's opinion on the cause of your pup's symptoms?

Distemper normally begins with a dry cough and over a period of time, the other symptoms, runny eyes, etc., will develop. Usually, there is a period when the dog becomes intolerant to bright light and seizures in the end stages.

If distemper was the cause, then the likelihood is the rest of the litter would be infected, but distemper would be unusual in this day and age.

I would ask the advice of your Vet as to how to go forward from here.

7. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Along with advice from my vet, I'd use a kennel disinfectant in the house and garden.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would agree with Sweety that Distemper is fairly unlikely so what did your vet say. Be careful that he is not considering that it was parvo virus as that is less easy to eradicate in your house and you need a longer interval before getting another pup. I am probably one of the few on here that has seen a fair bit of distemper as I was vet nursing through a particularly nasty outbreak. Usually the dog is not acutely ill, though I did not see it in any young pups so might be different. The nervous symptoms such as fits usually come anything up to 2 months after the dog has apparently recovered though we did see a few within a week.
    I would definitely have a long chat with your vet to find out how sure he is of any diagnosis and what he suggests about getting another puppy. Once you have a diagnosis do plenty of googling as I would imagine most vets have never seen a case of distemper.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice