Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice about what to do with dog.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Hannahbee, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Hannahbee

Hannahbee PetForums Junior

My friend is going through a tough time with trying to get a job and a place to live after a break up. The places he can stay don't allow dogs and no one he knows can take the dog short term(including me unfortunately).

Is there anyway that a dog could be fostered temporarily until he sorts out his own place and a job? I have no idea about this kind of thing and I'd hate to see him go to a shelter.

2. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

When I worked in rescue kennels, we "housed" a dog for its owners until they found an adequate home to take him back, it took 6 months but, the dog went back to them de-flead, wormed, trained and fed, oh and castrated, they paid the adoption fee (£100.00 at the time) which was cheaper than kennelling costs for 6 months. The manager at the centre thought initially it would take 2 months for them to find somewhere to live, but they really did play their cards, had a holiday in the meantime, visited family up and down the country for week-ends etc. so, if you find a sympathetic kennel they "may" be able to help. Just don't abuse the charities' good willingness to help.

3. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

I'm sure the dogs trust have an advice line to help with homeless issues around dogs . (And so potentially the risk of being homeless is part of this).

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I have heard of this too now you mention it...a localish rescue were housing a dog for a couple who ended up losing their home. I was only told about this via the charity shop that was being run in my local town for the charity...I obviously have that face that means you need another dog because am sure I was practically home checked whilst I was there...i was only buying dog treats.
    Sorry OP for going off topic slightly, but yes some charities can help. Just depends on them, and who runs them to be honest.

5. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

I have a feeling that the Blue Cross might take a dog temporarily (I know the Cinnamon Trust in Cornwall will but that may be too far away for you. As some ask at the Dogs Trust too.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

When I had boarding kennels the SSPCA arranged and paid for some dogs belonging to a woman who had split up from her husband till the council got her rehomed somewhere she could take her dogs.

7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Cinnamon Trust work throughout the UK (I think!) but they can be 'breedest' (don't take staffies or other bull breeds I don't think unfortunately).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice