Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice about toilet training would be welcome!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by dizzyb75, Aug 6, 2009.

1. dizzyb75

dizzyb75 PetForums Newbie

i got my 8 week old german shepherd x, last night, when we got home he decided to go to the toilet all over the floor,i was not upset as the owner we bought him from had said he wasnt toilet trained, my boyfriend and I have decided he will sleep in our room, which he did last night and was good until this morning when he weed on the floor,no problem i cleaned it up and took him downstairs into our back room which leads out onto our lovely clean decked garden, having left the door open all day hes been happy wandering around andlying outside, and guess what he's been doing all of his business in the garden, all be it not in the same place,but no accidents indoors at all, i am amazed! is this is a good thing, im worried about bedtime though because how will i know when he wants to go, as hes been so carefree today, am i doing things right? please help.

2. dizzyb75

dizzyb75 PetForums Newbie

one other thing is he is is having his first injection on sat and the next in 10 weeks, am i being silly or over protective but will he be ok out in the garden if its raining and he gets wet! sorry have never had a puppy before and this is all new to me.

3. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Toilet Training: You are doing fine. We have the back door open all the time when we are in. You might be better of crate training him though, he's less likely to toilet that way.

Injections: Why are they 10 weeks apart??? Should be 2 weeks apart. If thats the case he will be 18 weeks before he starts going out?? He will be fine out in the garden! My dog loves standing in the rain.

4. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

It's probably more luck than anything else especially if he's spent the majority of his time outside.

You need to watch when he toilets and give each one a trigger word, i use 'hurry up' for a pee and 'quickly' for a poop. Repeatedly say whatever word you want him to associate the action with, as he's actually doing it and then praise when done. Keep doing this until eventually you will be able to say the command word and your dog will go out and perform the deed ;). That way if your going out somewhere and you need him to poo etc before you leave, you will be able to put him outside, say the command and he will. This can take a little time but well worth the effort. My pup is 19 weeks old and toilets on command :D

I also use a crate. Dogs dont tend to soil in their bed so it can prevent accidents while your out and your pup is still learning.

Vacs should be 2 weeks apart :D

5. charmed-imsure

charmed-imsure PetForums Junior

this worked for me, my pup is now (guesstimating 7 months old):

Every time I fed her, I walked her to the door and let her out & praised her every wee or poop she did. During the night at such a young age they're almost like a baby so they will need taking out at least once if not twice during the night. My puppy came to me every night through the night if she needed to go out & she did it by way of licking me to death!!! Or crying! You can mistake this for them wanting to get on the bed with you or be close to you, but they actually need the loo. But you need to form that relationship of you taking them out for a wee, you'll know :)

6. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

This should help :)

Successful Crate Training (for toilet training and more)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice