Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice about suspected cat arthritis

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bennyuk, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Bennyuk

Bennyuk PetForums Newbie

Hi, I recentl had to say goodbye to 1 of my 2 cats (Tickle). Her brother, Spanky, is still with us, but he's lookijng old. He's 15, but he is looking older. I've noticed that he can sometimes take quite a while to get his behind onto the floor when sitting down. He sort of hovers, then eventually gets his bum on the floor after about 1 or 2 minutes.

I suspect it may be some sort of joint condition, maybe arthritis. During his checkup the vet said that there was nothing obivioulsy wrong apar from old age. (I didnt think 15 is particulalry old for a cat but i could be wrong).

Just wandering if anyone has any advise on anything I can do to make him more confortable, or improve his health, be it via diet or other means?

Thanks in advance for any help

Ben

2. Annie38

Annie38 PetForums Member

I haven't had a cat with arthritis but my dog has it badly, she limps everywhere. We buy her glucosamine supplements from simplysupplements.net and they seem to really help her. They aren't too expensive and the bottle does say for dogs and cats :)

3. allat

allat PetForums Newbie

Hi Ben!

It is possible that your cat has been developing arthritis in the lower back/ hip area and maybe an x-ray would help to make a more specific diagnosis. Before you start to give any supplements, make sure it really is a joint problem.
    A very good alternative to conventional pain killers is acupuncture, which works usually very well for cats. Ask your own vet if they know a vet who does offer this treatment and give it a try.

Cheers,
    Ellen

4. Tylah

Tylah PetForums Member

I use Microlactin. You can use 1/2 to 1 capsule a day added to their food, and you scan see an improvement in a few weeks. It tastes like milk powder so is pretty palatable.

I've read that others are also getting good results with it.

The main thing which helped my cat with his joints was going onto raw food. He can now jump up on the bed again.

5. Bennyuk

Bennyuk PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice, will do some research into Microlactin / Duralactin.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice