Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice about spaying

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jaxb05, Jul 19, 2009.

1. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Hi - as Pickle's is being spayed on Tuesday - I was hoping that I can get advice about making her wee time on the sick - as easy as possible. What should I put into her house as bedding. She pees on towels etc. Should I try shredded paper? Or keep the hay and shavings?

Someone had said they sent a packed lunch in with their rabbit - was it Normie? I can't remember. I thought it was the cutest thing. I am going to send in a wee cooler with some coriander, parsley and dock leaves as she loves these. I know I have heard people here say that it is ok for rabbits to eat night before operation - so I will give her a wee feed late Monday night.

Should I leave her run open when she have the operation or keep her in her hutch? How long before she recovers enough to have a run about the back garden and start the bonding process with Wuzzle?

She goes into the vet a 9am Tuesday. How long is it usually before you get them home?. Will she spend most of the day in the vet? I'll be ringing constantly - I know me!!!

I am going to ask him about fly strike. I will take mine in and see if I can apply it again or if he has something stronger.

I think I have forgotten something. I will add it later if I have.
    Many thanks,
    Jacqui

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Dont feed your bun any differently to how you normally do. They dont need starving, and doing so can kill them.

Send her to the vets with her normal food, and plenty of hay. I always send some of mines favourite veg for when they wake up, as getting a rabbit to eat after an operation is vital.

I would advise housing her on something soft and warm, but that wont stick to the wound. Avoid hay/straw/shavings, as these may irritate the op-site.

When she comes home is dependant on her recovery. No vets should send home a rabbit unless its eating and has passed both urine and feces.

She will probably be quiet for the first 24-48 hours, but its vital that you ensure she is eating. Sometimes its an idea to get some fibreplex so you can syringe her some probiotics for a couple of days.

Your vet should offer a post op check a few days after her op. this is check for infection and any other problems.

Usually after 10 days she can have the sutures removed (unless she has disolveable ones) and then she should be back to normal. But keep her confined for the first 5-7 days. If she moves around too much, or jumps, then she could pull her stiches which is quiet painful. Also its a good idea to clean them out daily, to prevent possible wound contamination.

3. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Thank-you Nonnie. I guess |I could try another towel in her bed. She may appreciate it more this time. If that doesn't work - is shredded paper ok? Actually - no - it may stick to her wound. I will just hoak out all the old towels out - if she pees on them - then I will put in another for her.

I am going out today to get her some coriander as there is only a little left. My neighbour has an endless supply of dock leaves. :D I check Pickles constantly when I am in the house to make sure she is OK. I will be extra vigilant and go out and check the hutch to see that she is eating and drinking.

She'll not be happy with being confined to her hutch - but that is how it will be until she she better. I will clean her hutch daily - I did anyway when she didn't have the run. Living in confined quarters often left a mess.
    Thanks again.
    Jacqui

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice