Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice about eyes

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by marleyboo, Feb 10, 2012.

1. marleyboo

marleyboo PetForums Senior

:cryin::cryin: this week is just going from bad to worse, marley`s eye started weeping last night, i cleaned it with some cotton wool and warm water, today noticed shes getting some gunk around it :cryin:

ive been cleaning it with some salt water today.... what do you think it is? can i buy anything at the chemist or will we have to visit the vet :(

il go if she needs to ofcourse, need to see if i can do anything else first though?

other eye looks fine , looks alot like conjunctivitus we get not sure if cats get it?

should i keep cleaning it over the weekend with salt water or is 2 days too long to leave before going to the vets? xx

#1 marleyboo, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Eyes are such delicate things that I would take her to the vet to rule out any scratches etc. I definitely wouldn't self-medicate with some human remedies without speaking to a vet first.

Sorry, not what you want to hear but better safe than sorry (even if they send you home with the instruction to carry on with the salted water; at least you know that it isn't anything more sinister).

3. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

My kitties had conjunctivitis when we got them from the rescue - the symptoms sound very similar, but only a vet will be able to properly diagnose. I was given eye drops to give to them twice a day (that was fun!) for about a week which cleared it up.

I would take them sooner rather than later though as conjunctivitis (if that's what it is) can get nasty :(

Hope it clears up soon!

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

^^^as above Eyes are delicate and can be so easily be permanently damaged.Please dont self medicate and get her seen by your vet as soon as you can.

5. marleyboo

thanks ladies, il see if i can get somebody to watch the kiddies and take her... poor girl its not been her week. shes looking at me through her one eye feeling sorry for herself :nonod:

oh no i didnt mean anything for humans.. only i bought some flea drops from there so thought the may sell some sort of eyedrops for animals too :)

xx

6. jenfunfur

jenfunfur PetForums Member

hope shes ok, hopefully something simple that drops can fix. Last year Pud had one gunky eye turns out he'd scratched it somehow & 5 days of antibiotic drops fixed him right up :) let us know how she gets on eyes really need attention asap

7. SnazzyJazzy

SnazzyJazzy PetForums VIP

aww poor marley she is not had any good luck recently :(
    you must be tearing your hair out by now i would be!!!! really really really hope its nothing serious and she continues to be on the mend x

8. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

I'm with the others here, since she had the bad week she's had--go to the vet just to rule out a scratch or something.

If she was just randomly gunky, though, I'd say to try this: Moisten a chamomile teabag with pretty warm water. Squeeze it out, but leave it a little juicy and bathe the outside of the eye with it. Chamomile reduces inflammation and when Blake woke up with a crusty eye, I did this with his a few times and by evening he was all better.

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Hopefully you have seen the vet by the time I post this and you have some drops for her.

I'm wondering if a tiny bit of grit got in her eye when she had her accident and it has now caused irritation and an infection.

Please let us know how you got on. :)

10. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

it really hasnt been marley week:(
    poor girl, i hope she is better soon!

11. marleyboo

thankyou everybody. i called her vets earlier but was too late,but did manage to speak to him on the phone , he said it sounds like conjunctivitis, i have his number and if its any worse tommorow he will come out and see her. he said to continue bathing it with the salt water to prevent any infection.. and if its still the same by monday bring her in.

its just in one eye so finger crossed aslong as i keep it clean it wont spread to the other, shes fine in herself eating lots, toilet fine etc. so dont think its anything to do with the accident fingers crossed.

he said the injection he gave her after the accident was an anti-biotic and should still be in her system.

ive been checking her eyes they dont look swollen or sore... just a bit of gunk in each corner poor baby will keep you all updated

thankyou so much for the advice again, bet you are sick of me posting.

i really do appreciate the help thoughxxx

12. marleyboo

thats a great tip thankyou, il go out and get some in the morning and try it.. just want to keep ontop off it to make sure it doesnt go into the other eye

thankyou so much xxx

13. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Just another thing, if you bathe both eyes, use a different cotton pad / cloth / teabag for each one to prevent the infection being transmitted across.

I'm sure you have done this anyway but just a reminder in case you a were a wee bit flustered and forgot. ;)

#13 MoggyBaby, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  14. marleyboo

hi mb, i have only been cleaning the right eye, i didnt thin to clean the other. because it looked fine i thought messing with it i didnt want to rub it or touch it if it wasnt neccassary

should i clean both eyes~? if so il go do that now :)

aahh thankyou yes i knew not to use the same piece on both eyes . just hoping it starts looking better

i know it sounds silly but im so queezy with eyes :blush: :sosp: i dont mind doing it because i know i have to do it.. lol just hoping it clears up asap.. feel so sorry for her she keeps lookng at me bless her xx

15. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

It's up to you babes. When Merson has his dodgy left eye playing up, I always clean both just to be on the safe side.

I reckon that if he is grooming himself and rubs around his eyes, he may not use a different paw for each...... :eek:

If it looks ok then don't worry about it but just keep close tabs on it just in case. :)

16. marleyboo

thanks so much mb ! :)

by the way i love your siggy kitty makes me smile every time i see it! its adoreable xx

17. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Me too. :D

This is what he's listening to, in case you ever wondered......

Love Cats - YouTube

:D

18. marleyboo

?? no way!! the cure are my favourite he has excellent taste ;):Dxxx

19. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

If you watch Tiny Swinger (as I call him :) ) with the music playing in the background, he really DOES look like he is bopping along to it. :D :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice