Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advantage spot on reaction

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by LJC675, Jan 11, 2019.

1. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

Hello you lovely peeps, hope you're all well :):):)

I'm starting this thread to see if anyone has experienced side effects from Advantage spot on.

K&S are innies / outies, so I treat for fleas each month. I've always used Advantage spot on. Last month Kalex had a day when she wasn't 100%, she refused her breakfast, I managed to get half a lickilick thing into her, she then picked at a tiny bit of lunch and then ate about half of her dinner, also drank a small amount of chicken broth (now Kalex loves food so this is odd). I was going to take her to the vet if she hadn't improved by the next morning. Next morning comes and she's all fine, however now it's Suter's turn, exactly the same scenario and by the next day all fine again. So I put it down to something weird they picked up but dealt with quickly.

This month I did the spot on as normal and the next day Kalex was really funny about her food again, not as severe this time, but I did have to encourage her to eat and she left half her breakfast and tea (was OK for chicken bits for lunch time training). Suter was fine.

I'm not exactly sure if the 1st incident was the day after a spot on, but it was pretty close, it only made me think of it when Kalex was funny the day after this one.

Neither of them scratch after the spot on and I haven't seen them try to lick it off, so they don't seem irritated by it. It does have quite a strong Almond smell, so maybe that's what she doesn't like?

I don't like the idea of her feeling unwell from the spot on, so wondered if anyone had experienced similar, or any advice about different types maybe? I think there's an injection they can have, does anyone know any issues with that, safety, reactions etc?

Thanks for any advice

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @LJC675 :) - one of my rescued cats with a (controlled) flea allergy (acquired before I adopted him), has to have preventative flea treatment once a month. I used Advantage spot-on for a long time and although my boy didn't exactly like it, he put up with it. Then about 4 months ago he got very upset and angry when I put it on him. I thought his reaction was a one-off but the next time I applied it he became even more upset and hid under the table hissing and growling at me afterwards. Very odd, as such behaviour from him has never been seen before; I have never heard him even hiss or growl at one of the other cats, let alone at me!

As a result I decided not to continue with the Advantage. But other spot-ons I tried in the past on him triggered my asthma (e.g. Advocate, Stronghold) so I decided to switch to Program Oral Suspension which I add to his food once a month. Unfortunately it is not a complete protection as it stops fleas from breeding but does not kill adult fleas. For that I would have to use e.g. Capstar tablets if I saw fleas on him (Capstar works for 24 hours)

However I'm really not keen on the idea of 'waiting' to see adult fleas on him! (Though I've never combed out a single flea off him in the 7 yrs I've had him) So in the summer (when fleas are more active) I am thinking of stopping the Program and trying him with Bravecto spot on, which contains a different insecticide to Advantage. It only has to be given once every 3 months.

I have no idea why he suddenly reacted badly to Advantage, but wonder if the manufacturer has recently changed the 'carrier' used in the product.

3. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

Thanks for this, I wonder if there's been a change too, I've always used Advantage for S&K and it's only been the last 2 times I've had issues. Like you I don't like the idea of waiting until there are flea to treat. hmmm, more research I think.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice