Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advance Tips on Fighting for My Two!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Laura_&_Cats, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Laura_&_Cats

Laura_&_Cats PetForums Member

So, after having one indoor/supervised outdoor cat for many years, I have never had to deal with a cat fight! My Jem and Scout are almost eleven months old now and are brother and sister, who have been together since birth according to what I was told. (They haven't come from wonderful circumstances, so I will quite possibly attempt to have as much confirmed as is feasible by the vet when they have a full health and dental check etc. after she is all healed up, although I have no reason to doubt it from looking at them together...)

Anyway, they have been playing together, claws in, with toys etc., but we have had quite a fun night of hide and seek and playfighting tonight! I monitored but didn't stop it - they were taking breaks to cuddle and groom and stare lovingly at each other, and both kept going back for more! Eventually they were running round the house hiding and pouncing. :Happy

They are clearly thriving and I'm very pleased, but it made me think I have no idea how to manage fighting - I guess it will inevitably occur?! Do I continue to allow them to playfight like that as long as it's friendly but intervene if it gets out of hand?

Tips/advice would be highly appreciated! Lots of fun though! Would have snapped photos, but was too busy watching them lovingly! :Happy

chiarat likes this.
  2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi there. Congratulations on having such two lovely cats. I don’t think you need to worry about Jem and Scout fighting, not one another anyway, it’s very unlikely to happen. Yes let them continue to play fight.... they love it!

Laura_&_Cats likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Laura_&_Cats - it is not inevitable your two little ones will end up fighting as they grow up. But even the best of feline friends can have the odd tiff now and then which may require you to intervene if it is getting nasty.

My 2 girls (sisters aged 5) were devoted to each other when I adopted them from Rescue at 4 months old. They slept together, groomed each other, played together and were always to be seen in the same room. It was very sweet to see. As they got older they stopped sharing a bed, or grooming each other but continued to play together and spend most of their time together.

One of the girls has always been more feisty and spirited than her sister. She likes to play a bit rough at times with her swiping and bopping, and can be a tease who won't give up. As the girls matured between 2 and 3 yrs old, the other sister was less keen on being teased and began to hiss and even growl angrily at her feisty sister.

Luckily one of my 9 yr old boys had by then made friends with both girls and he is happy to play chase, hide and seek and pounce with them, which they love! So that has given my feisty girl another (better) outlet for her need to tease and be cheeky.

These days my girls sleep in their own room together at night, and sometimes spend time in the evenings together. But just as often they will each be in different parts of the house with the other cats. It is the case now that the less feisty girl no longer likes playing with her feisty sister (she doesn't trust her not to overdo things) but will play happily with my older boy who is very respectful with her.

Sometimes there is a bit of paw waving and hissing between the two girls when they are waiting for their suppers at bedtime, but a one word gentle reprimand from OH or me and they stop. :)

chiarat and Laura_&_Cats like this.
  4. Laura_&_Cats

Laura_&_Cats PetForums Member

Thanks both! It's good to hear that fighting isn't inevitable! :Happy

The playfighting so far has been fairly evenly matched, with both going back for more! There have been an odd couple of occasions where Scout has growled/yelped a little, and on these occasions I have shouted 'oi!' and they have both instantly stopped in their tracks lol. I think this is just Jem getting carried away - he is quite a bit bigger than her!

I believe from what I've read on here that most fights between cohabiting cats relate to resource competition - as per suggestions I have now separated their feeding places - Scout on top of the washing machine, and Jem on the kitchen floor facing away from her. It seems to be working well so far - I'm going to splash out on the microchip feeders soon so there's no stealing! I have three litter trays, lots of toys and various sleeping spots so they can either share or not, depending on how they feel. Hopefully this will reduce any future problems!

They obviously have a very close relationship, they both like to know where the other is at all times, and go looking if they've been apart too long! They rarely spend time in separate rooms at the moment. They have so much more energy now! It must be because they're eating well and no longer starving!

Scout's cone has come off today, too - mainly because her brother has figured out how to take it off for her, so it isn't staying on longer than ten minutes at a time anyway! I'm happy with how it's healing, and it's 14 days after her surgery on Friday morning anyway, so only a little earlier than I was told! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice