Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adult dog training advice

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jayb_44, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Jayb_44

Jayb_44 PetForums Newbie

So I have a 7 year old chihuahua mix. Unfortunately he was never really disciplined and he’s not a horrible dog but he whines ALOT! He has a designated area in the house but whenever it’s time for him to be in his area he whines and cries non stop. I’ve tried ignoring him and disciplining him and he eventually stops but it is very very excessive. It has been an on going thing and nothing seems to help. He is also a very hyperactive dog and is always overly excited , he just never seems to be calm. I really want to sort of “re-train” this dog so it’s easier to have him around with out all the excessive whining. Also he’s not alone we have another dog that is just fine so he’s not completely lonely. If anyone knows of any websites or videos that could possibly help me train this dog please let me know!!

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi. Have a look at kikopup on youtube for lots of training advice.

Look at her capturing calmness videos.

Also chihuahuas are smart dogs. How much mental do stimulation do you give her.? Using their brains really tires them out. Look at scent games, playing find it game with toys, searching for kibble scattered in the grass outside,, the shell game, also trick training and clicker training gets them working hard mentally. Look up 100 thing s to do with a box.

Whilst you r other dog will be company of sorts they don't replace human company so you need to teach her to settle in you r absence. Have a look for the separation anxiety sticky for advice.

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Behaviours are the outcomes of emotions and it sounds as though you are trying to 'discipline' him for the emotion - which won't work. Emotions can't be switched on and off like that. Im not sure I even want to know what you mean by disciplining him.

Think of a teacher or work colleague you had a lot of respect and admiration for - people like that invariably get results because people want to work well for them, not because they fear the consequences of not doing so.

So instead of disciplining your dog for not doing what you want, try training him what you do want him to do. If it's to settle in his bed, have a look at this video.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice