Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adult Coat?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by lotlot, Mar 31, 2011.

1. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

I have an eight month old bedlington terrier, and his groomer said he still has his full puppy coat. He is only curly on his face and everywhere else he is just fluffy, and his fur is very thin. I was just wondering how long it'll be til he has a more adult like coat, and be curly?

Thankyou :)

Charlotte
    xx

2. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

Ooooh I don't know but MissBexi will be able to help you she has a couple herself :)

3. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I'm starting to wonder if I talk about my two too much :rolleyes: lol.
    The Bedlington Coat is a very funny coat. Mines both have different coats.
    Suki is part working Bedlington and I find that if I let her coat grow she gets curly all over and has been like that since about 14months old roughly.

Bailey on the other hand. He is now just 1year old and he's only ever curly on his legs and face. His body tend to stay straight. He is a show Bedlington.

When I got Suki I was told it would take up to 2 years for the coat to fully change. However by looking at her the only thing that changed is she got a little bigger lol. She's still black and she still had the silly curly hair.
    Yet Bailey had straight hair when I got him and it's now gone curly and has been since he was around 8months.

Did your breeder give you any indication when the coat will change?
    Can't wait to see more pictures.. What did your groomer do with him?
    Bailey must know I'm talking about him, he keeps taping the keyboard lol :p

4. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

If they are anything like poodles with coat changes then you will want him to keep puppy coat :p

5. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

lol. That's very possible. I loved Bailey when he was a pup, he was a gorgeous dark brown and I was so unset when he got lighter, though now I love him.. He's gorgeous :p

6. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Poodles are like that. So hard to get a nice brown, silver, apricot etc because one they hit adult hood it just seems to fade!

7. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

We have 2 apricot poodles at the salon and they don't seem to have faded surprisingly. They should be over 1 now. They are gorgeous. It's when you clip the coat they got lighter..

8. DaisytheTT

No no you don't, I just remember you being very helpful to me when I came to PF looking for help with Daisy's coat care :)

9. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Glad to be of any help :) Daisy is so adorable.. Nice coat too..

10. DaisytheTT

Shame you're so far away I'd ask you to groom her :smilewinkgrin:

11. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Is Daisy good at the Groomers? lol. All the TTs we have are nightmares, sadly their owners don't groom them so they need to be clipped off and well they just don't wanna be that naked lol.
    Though we had a little pup in and he was very well behaved lol

12. DaisytheTT

I've only ever had a mobile groomer come to the house and Daisy was like a squealing pig, I had never heard such sounds coming out of her before or since for that matter :eek: I've been doing her myself since then, only trimming around her face, doing nails and ears and I groom her for about 45 minutes everyday. I don't want to have her clipped short if I can help it. Just got in touch with a new groomer because she is going to need a trim all over soon and that is way out of my league. Do you use clippers or scissors on the TT's you have in? Just wondering what to expect.

13. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Most of the time the TTs are clipped off with a 7 blade, taken down really short. If they aren't we use comb attachments over the coat, it doesn't take as much off as a blade would.. And then we use scissors to shape the legs, skirt, tail and head. Make sure to explain exactly what you want to the groomer and listen to what they are suggesting.. Sometimes some groomers say one thing and owners aren't sure what it is and just agree to it.
    Daisy is looking really good, you've done well and that is definitely commitment lol. I'm a dog groomer and my Beddies don't get groomed everyday. lol

14. DaisytheTT

Thanks for the advice, apparantley the new groomer we have been recommended takes before and after pics of the dogs she has groomed and you look at them and discuss your requirements so you know exactly what to expect and that you are both singing from the same hymn sheet. But I will definitely make sure we are both talking the same language when I see her. I guess at the end of the day it is fur and it will grow back if the worst came to the worse :blink: I'm not surprised your bedies don't get groomed everyday I should imagine it is the last thing you want to do after being at the salon all day, I struggle after 45 mins!

15. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I think that's a fantastic idea. I do that with some of the clients we get in, especially the ones who ask for me. That way, because we have so many clients now, means they will always get the same style the want.
    I know, they desperately need a groom =[ I've going to visit my sister soon, visiting her wedding venue, and there is going to be a lot of family there and they've never met the dogs so they are gonna get all pretty for it =]
    Luckily Suki is clipped off the now apart from her face so she's easy, it's Bailey whose the problem. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice