Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adult Chihuahua feeding times

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LucyA, Dec 31, 2019.

1. LucyA

LucyA PetForums Newbie

Hi there. Looking to adopt an adult Chihuahua soon (around 3 years old) - and I am receiving conflicting advice over feeding times for this breed.

Lots of the small breed dog food recommends half in the morning and half late afternoon/evening, however I have friends with Chihuahuas who advise that their blood sugar won’t cope well with this and it’s best to leave the full amount out in the morning and then they can pick at it as and when they’re peckish and they won’t gorge like bigger dogs. Or shall I consult the rescue with how they’re currently being fed and try and stick with that so as not to stress them out?

Any advice welcome!

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

My chihuahuas have been the biggest foodies of all my dogs.. I don't quite understand why they wouldn't gorge like larger dogs come from? Dogs are dogs.

Last check up I took my chihuahua to, the vet was thrilled with her body condition. There are so many overweight chihuahuas out there that people think that they should have a large body and small head.

I wouldn't worry too much about hypoglycemia. It's true to a point there is a correlation but it really is rare and this is why feeding guides for toy breeds are usually generous.. Although they do need quite a bit for their size.

Torin., LinznMilly, LucyA and 2 others like this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Libby chi has two meals a day , a breakfast and a bigger dinner.

LucyA, Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

2 meals a day here too! (also a home made biscuit at bedtime:)).

I wouldnt leave food out for my lot. I think Adam would probably control himself if he was a single dog but Heidi? Nah!! She's a dustbin on legs. You cant open the fridge or cupboard in the kitchen without her following you around like a little hairy Roomba!:Hilarious

LucyA likes this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack has his wet separate to his dry at each of his 2 meals.

He usually eats the wet straight off but saves his dry until late morning and sometimes an hour or 2 after dinner.

LucyA likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice