Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adoption from Cats Protection

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by llooney, Feb 1, 2019.

1. llooney

llooney PetForums Newbie

Hi ;)
    A few days ago I found two lovely female kittens on Cats Protection website, I field up their questionnaire and send it, I got the mail that everything is ok and I just have to wait for contact from them and that they are extremely busy so that can take some time, but it's now like 4 days and I don't know what to do. Should I wait or e-mail them, call them or visit the branch? I just don't want to go and end up knowing that does two aren't available anymore or something. Please help, I am wanting to adopt for some time now, but every cat that I am applying went to someone else, it's not like I am not happy for those cats, but my cat Bella died 5 months ago and I'd really love to have some company at home now :)

TriTri likes this.
  2. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Give the branch where they are being adopted from a call.

They prob are really busy and being run by volunteers so may not be getting through emails as quickly.

If you can get through to them on the phone and perhaps arrange a visit - you will get to meet a lot of cats in care and they can meet you too and determine which cats could be potential matches.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

As above.

Remind them you’re interested and try to pop in so they can satisfy themselves you are a suitable adopter and are serious.

Meeting face to face will be much more effective than a form/email ime.

TriTri, cheekyscrip and Summercat like this.
  4. Minuscule

Minuscule PetForums Senior

I would pay a visit too!

When I adopted Ren from a shelter, I went there for another older cat but I fell in love with baby Ren.
    Someone called to adopt him while I was filling the papers and another couple was waiting to spend time with him and his sister while I was in the pen. The shelter I went to wouldn't have let go a cat "on the paper", they require the potential future owner to meet the cat first and see if both the owner and the cat bond.
    So I wouldn't wait and I'd go. CP may work differently but there is no harm in showing your motivation!

PS . All the emails I had sent before were useless, the cats were gone before I had a reply. But I was looking for a young-ish cat.

llooney, TriTri, AmsMam and 2 others like this.
  5. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Yep, give them a call :)

TriTri likes this.
  6. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Yep definitely call. Some Cats Protection branches also don’t have a main adoption centre and use foster homes with volunteers - those people are sooo busy it’s easy to miss things.

So call and speak to someone :). Sometimes websites are out of date though so prepare yourself for the possibility that they may no longer be available!

Saffy Cat likes this.
  7. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

If you visit the CP website for the branch and if it is a CP rehoming centre you should find details of their opening hours - you can just pop along and visit, no need to make an appointment :)

I got Missy and Bertie this way and also ended up volunteering with CP as a result :D

TriTri and Saffy Cat like this.
  8. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

I got Brooke from Cats Protection - she wasn't on the website, we met when I paid a visit on spec. Their opening hours will be on the branches' own website. If you meet cats in person you can get a good idea of their personalities, but don't dismiss the shy ones!

TriTri, AmsMam and Summercat like this.
  9. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Member

I tried to get a cat from CP, I went into their shop in town, they gave me a number to ring, I rang & was told they would forward my name to the volunteer that looks after rehoming, I waited 10 days before I heard from them, by which time I had got a cat from RSPCA.

10. AmsMam

AmsMam belongs to the crazy cat

It was the same for us and Ams. We visited two different branches of CP that were local to us and it was on our second visit to the first branch that we met Ams. And I think, as @Minuscule said, they wanted to see if she actually liked us as well.

TriTri likes this.
  11. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I would be in there asking to meet them and gently pushing it. I am sure they reserve them pending home check but someone more if the know may know more.

12. Saffy Cat

Saffy Cat PetForums Member

Yes if the cats are at an adoption centre then you should be able to drop by during opening hours and complete physical paperwork at the time. It’s best for you to meet the cats and they won’t let the cats be adopted without all the family meeting them anyway.

If it’s a branch then call them to express your interest and arrange a meeting as the cats may be looked after by a fosterer. They may want you to complete the adoption questionnaire online for that situation.

Either way you should follow up directly for the first contact. Some cats (especially younger cute ones) go very quickly. They probably have an auto reply on their email and they are normally extremely busy but January strangely is actually their busiest month for adoptions.

If you decide then that you are a match but can’t take them home straight away you can put a hold on them for £20 per cat for about 48 hours.

llooney, TriTri and bluecordelia like this.
  13. Dumpling

Dumpling PetForums VIP

As others said, call or pop in, our local one you could visit without having to make an appointment. Emails are really easy to forget to reply to/get overlooked especially when volunteers are so busy!

cheekyscrip likes this.
  14. llooney

llooney PetForums Newbie

Okay, thank You all ;)
    Just an update from me, yesterday we went to Rescue and found 2 beautiful curious young ladies :) we are waiting now for a house check, I hope everything from now on will go nice and smooth :)
    Thx again ;)

Babyshoes, TriTri, AmsMam and 7 others like this.
  15. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Member

That's wonderful, hope all goes well for you, if the home check is anything like mine (mine was for the rspca) it will be a matter of 5 minutes, he looked at the garden, asked if we had a cat flap, when I said no, he said am I in a lot of the time, which I am & that is about it.

llooney likes this.
  16. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Great news!! Good luck with the home check!

llooney likes this.
  17. llooney

llooney PetForums Newbie

Wow, I wouldn't think that home check might be so quick, I am really curious what they might look at.

18. Saffy Cat

19. Saffy Cat

Inside the home they might be interested in available safe spaces, prescence of young children, dogs, potential home renovations that might occur in the near future.

20. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Excellent news, good luck with the home check but I’m sure all will be well :)

P.s. I thoroughly cleaned and tidied my house including the bathroom skirting... really wasn’t necessary :Shamefullyembarrased

TriTri and llooney like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice