Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Adoption difficulties - how to adopt a dog?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dog_Mum182, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Dog_Mum182

Dog_Mum182 PetForums Newbie

Hello, just to introduce myself quickly, I am a dog mum to a 9yo shih Tzu, who has spent the last few months trying to adopt a second dog, to no avail.

To cut a long story short, we have sent in countless forms to pretty much every adoption agency .finally one got back to us and offered us a dog that, in their words, was perfect for us. She is a shih Tzu/Lhasa apso so very similar to our current dog. Not sure if I can name the rescue on here but they are based in Somerset and rescue dogs from the Chinese meat trade.

Well, I was very excited for our home check today as I know our home is safe and warm, with plenty of places to sleep and play, with a secure average sized garden perfect for a little dog (and it very much loved by our current dog).

They came, looked at the garden, agreed it was nice and secure said hello to my dog, didn't even look upstairs and left. 20 or so minutes later I just got a quick message rather than phonecall saying we had been unsuccessful because the house was 'too small'.

To paint a picture, it is a semi detached Victorian home which we own that has a lounge, dining room, kitchen, sun room and back garden .two large bedrooms a downstairs toilet and an upstairs bathroom and toilet. We have no children, love a 2 minute walk from a large dog park and the shore and are a 30 minute drive from the New forest.

I do not believe our house is too small for a shih Tzu or Lhasa apso, and feel I have been fed a rather uninventive excuse. I just wondered if there was anyone else who has been dropped this way due to something such as this? I mean I was so shocked to read it, there would be 101 things I would expect to see as an excuse before the house being too small!!

Please see attached the garden as perhaps they seemed that too small?? They didn't really give me much to go on...

Attached Files:

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

That does seem rather unhelpful from the rescue, I know they’re busy but they could have said a little more! Could you reply and just ask for a bit more information? See if there’s anything you can do to help your chances next time?

Some rescues are stricter with others with who they adopt out to. Also bare in mind that sometimes the person who does the check doesn’t actually work for the rescue but passes information on so perhaps something has been lost in translation? Your house doesn’t sound small! Garden too.

We rescued our boy just over a year ago and were worried about the house check. We live in a smaller house than you (probably much smaller). The home checker didn’t look upstairs in our house either but had a good look at the garden and a good chat with us and we got approved... for a medium sized dog too. The rescue we went with didn’t seem to have many rules but found the dog that would fit your home (if that makes sense) and seemed more concerned that you had a sensible head when it came to dog care etc!

Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  3. Dog_Mum182

Yeah I did try to gather more info but I got the same answer back again unfortunately (because I replied to them that I wouldn't have let it get as far as the home check if they had stated to me that the house was too small - they had a full description of it on the phone when I spoke to the rescue owner for about half an hour who seemed happy). She just replied with 'we just thought it was slightly bigger' . The owner of the rescue has the dogs at a farm and the lady who visited my home lives not too far from me with 9 dogs in her care so I was baffled at the response that the home was small for a second dog coming from a person with 9! But hey ho.

Sounds like you found a very rare sensible rescue!! I'm glad they found you a dog, and that your dog has a loving forever home!!

Thanks for your response :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t give up hope, sounds like you have a nice home to offer. Some are just more strict (and they have their reasons). We adopted from blind dog rescue uk (BDRUK) if you wanted to check them out. They rescue from all over Europe, mostly dogs that are more vulnerable (blind or otherwise). They were a bit slow responding to my initial emails but they were friendly and helpful. Teddy came straight from Spain but they do have some already in foster over here too.

Sometimes it can be the home check person you get too and what they report back to the rescue.

Dog_Mum182 likes this.
  6. Dog_Mum182

Thank you, glad I'm not the only one that thinks that!

I tried many years, they were one of the first I went to but because my mum dog sits in the day whilst I am at work they thought it would be better for the dogs to be with one constant person instead of someone else in the days. Which is fair enough, I can understand their reasoning at least!

kimthecat likes this.
  7. Dog_Mum182

Thank you, I'll definitely give them a go :) they sound like a fab rescue!

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Sounds like a very odd excuse tbh. Your house doesn’t sound too small to accommodate 2 small dogs imo.

I hope you find a rescue with a more realistic attitude.

9. Dog_Mum182

Thank you, I hope so too! Think we are going to give it a break for a bit and then try again next month .

10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Who are these idiots?

Is your house smaller than the kennel this dog is likely living in at the moment?

I would try the Breed specific Shi Tzu Rescue.

Teddy-dog likes this.
  11. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

Agree. Idiots.

I live in TINY cottage. My dog is an energetic high drive breed and (like most dogs) gets virtually no exercise at home ( if that's what they're looking for?).
    How can the size of your house be relevant?
    I would ask them this question specifically, PLEASE, cos I'm sure we're all waiting on the answer to that one.

12. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Did you have to give references?
    It's possible that one of your references shared information that the rescue felt disqualified you, but in an effort to not 'out' the reference, made up an excuse instead.

I had someone ask me to be a reference, I agreed, I was asked what happened to their previous dogs. All 3 had been run over in the road. I was honest. The rescue told them their fence wasn't appropriate. Their fence was perfectly appropriate, it was keeping the gate shut and not leaving the dog outside for 23 hours a day that was the issue... But I digress.

Could also be that this rescue is a total scam. Dogs from the dog meat industry are generally not known, cute little pet breeds. I'm a cynical so and so but I'm betting the "we rescue from China" thing to be a gross exaggeration.

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice