Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adoption Assessment

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Zoej82, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Zoej82

Zoej82 PetForums Member

We are nearly at the end of our adoption assessment (to adopt children)

Our Gorgeous staffy had to be assessed and she passed with flying colours!!!

So so so happy .. Proud ... And relieved

2. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Needs an enormous like button!!!! Good girl! :001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

That is so refreshing that they didn't take one look at the breed and decide she would have to go. It shows that not all these officials are idiots. Well done. It must be extremely frustrating for you to go through this process and very nerve racking I should think. I wish you the best of luck.

4. Zoej82

Zoej82 PetForums Member

After IVF it's the scarest thing I've ever
    Been through!!

We are really lucky our social worker loves dogs!! We were dreading an anti dog person.

As far as we are concerned Ripley is out first adopted child lol!!!

We took a long time picking a dog as we knew we wanted children and we have a nephew so it was important to get a dog who we felt was good with kids.

As much as I wouldn't want to thnk about them not liking Ripley of they had have told us she had to go as much as it would break my heart we made a commitment to her and she's not going anywhere and the kids would have had to wait. But luckily we've not been put in that position thanks to us taking our time to choose our mutt :D

We are doing as much research as possible to do with introducing dogs to children to make the change easier for both of them

Lulus mum likes this.
  5. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Just like introducing a new puppy, really. Make sure the dog comes first to start with as far as greetings and attention goes. Make him part of the baby's life from the word go, let him show his interest as well. You know not to leave any dog alone with a baby, I'm sure, no matter how good he is.

You will be fine.

6. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

big big congratulations to you and I think Ripley deserves a big bone and lots of cuddles

7. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

Congrats on having a good dog and for getting near the end of your adoption application - they really make you jump through hoops to get there don't they!

As for introducing children to dogs, it really depends on the age of the child but if you get a slightly older child, just remember they may never have been around pets before and sometimes they can be a bit rougher than they should (esp if there are any attachment difficulties). Also consider the child (and the dog) may be jealous of any attention you give the dog.

All the best :)

PS I had a social worker go almost white once when I said we had gotten a dog - she was so phobic of them and he was only a tiny puppy!

8. Zoej82

Zoej82 PetForums Member

Just wanted to say thank you for this :D.

We're going to have a zero tolerance for bad behaviour towards Rips. Just as we will have zero tolerance for any bad behaviour from her towards the children.

It's so sad to think of the background and issues these children will have.
    We are buying as many books for us and also children's books about
    Dogs . We also plan to take them to animal shelters.

Jealousy is something we will have to keep an eye on as
    You say. The children will have been through so much and most have a
    Level of disorganised attachment which will manifest in lots of ways.

Thank you again

X

9. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

Well done Ripley!...you must be so proud of of him and thrilled to bits :p

I can imagine you were so relieved not to have an anti-dog person!...I wish you all the very best with your adoption application :)

10. Zoej82

Zoej82 PetForums Member

Was an amazing relief ... Just got to wait till April now..eeeep. It's going to be such hard work but these children will be so so loved

So proud of our girl... Lol she's our adopted fur baby

11. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

Sounds like you have it well in hand and are covering all the bases. Out of all the children we have fostered (and I also work with adopted children) only one has threatened to kill our cat (and that was only because she wasn't getting her way, and she didn't mean it!) Most are mainly rough with them, which could cause the animal hurt but never had one that actually meant the cat/dog serious harm.

You are very aware and clued up and so I am sure you will have it all in hand :)

All the best :)

12. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Congratulations. I hope the rest of the process runs as smoothly and successfully as Ripley's assessment.:)

13. foxyrockmeister

foxyrockmeister PetForums VIP

Ahh well done Ripley!! And good luck to you for the rest of the adoption process :)

14. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

That's brilliant news for you both !!!! And well done to your little staffy:ciappa:::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

15. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Massive congratulations!!!!
    I am so pleased for you
    Just fantastic :)

16. Zoej82

Zoej82 PetForums Member

Thank you all :D so so exited

If anyone has any suggestion for books or websites please let me know

X

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice