Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adoption Advice Please

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by Chrs, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Chrs

Chrs PetForums Newbie

My girlfriend are looking to adopt a small puppy & we went to see a breeder yesterday. He had a gorgeous Shih Poo puppy which we are thinking of having but we are nervous to make the decision. We had previously looked at Cavapoos.

The info we have from the breeder is as follows:
    - No Kennel Club papers - Dogs are blood line pedigree (we didn't know what this meant).
    - Fully weaned by 6 weeks and paper trained
    - Only test dad has had is the PRA eye tested clear
    - Mum has been DNA tested to prove she is pure Shih Tzu

Does anyone have advice on Shih Poos or just puppy adoption in general please.

Thank you

2. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

I don't know much about puppies from breeders etc so I can't give any advice there I'm afraid, but what I do know is that there are so many dogs in rescue centres that need adopting, not all are adult dogs, had you thought about maybe getting a pup from a rescue centre? :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

As you may realise dogs like Shihpoos and cavapoos are crossbreeds, a cross between one purebred dog and another purebred dog. The ‘blood line pedigree’ is referring to this, but as neither the dam nor the sire have ‘papers’ and are not KC registered you can never fully tell whether they are the breed they are telling you they are. The DNA test I don’t think can be considered as the dna tests that you can get to test dogs work better on crosses or mongrels rather then a purebred dog. There is some thought that these dna tests prove very little as a man found out when he sent his own test back and found he was a cocker spaniel.

Most dogs have inheritable diseases. Good and ethical breeders of pedigree dogs conduct special health tests on their breeding dogs in order to only breed the healthiest. The eye test you referred to is probabaly the one that is supposed to be conducted annually and is very cheap. A lot of puppy farms are now getting this test done on their breeding dogs in order to prove some health testing has been done as they have realised that more and more puppy buyers are looking for puppies from health tested parents. As this is the simplest and cheapest test that can be done, it ticks the health test box and makes prospective owners think they are buying the very best, which they are not.

People who breed crossbreeds are more often or not just after making some money by selling cute pups and the parents rarely have all the health tests recommended for each breed. Cavaliers in particular are prone to some very serious illnesses which are painful and distressing for all concerned. If I was buying a cavalier I would only be going to a cavalier breeder who is running all the health tests and knows her dogs inside out and is honest enough to not breed any of their affected dogs

As you are newbies at puppy buying I recommend you look at the Kennel Club site info on what to lookout for when buying a puppy. Google and read as much as possible about the problems that can arise when buying crossbreeds and pedigree dogs that are not coming from health tested parents.

Having a puppy fully weaned and paper trained is nothing to shout about in my opinion. The mother will naturally wean the puppies herself by refusing to allow them access to her so that her milk dries up, she often will allow comfort sucks but very little more, so by six weeks most puppies will be eating solids - I do hope the breeder wasn’t planning g to let the puppies go at 6 weeks as they should stay with the mother to mature, grow in confidence and to learn some dog manners from her, 6 weeks is far too early.
    The claim to be paper trained is highly unlikely and not something I would want in a puppy anyway. A puppy needs to learn right from when he brought into his new home that he toilets outside in the garden not on paper or puppy pads in the house. This is very confusing for a puppy as they do not understand why they can toilet on that bit of paper in the house, but not on your newspaper or the nice rug in the lounge. Outside to toilet right from when the pup comes home is the best policy.

You may find this book very handy when you do get a puppy
    The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey

As said above, perhaps go to your local pet shelters to see if there are any puppies available rather then give a load of money to a back yard breeder or a puppy farm

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I would avoid that breeder like the plague, they sound like the sort who lure new puppy buyers in with a load of fancy talk to impress.

'Blood line pedigree' means nothing without registration papers & multi generational pedigrees.

5. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

I would not go ahead with this breeder. As mentioned above,"Poo" breeds, like cavapoos,shihpoos,cockapoos etc. are very hard to find from good,ethical breeders due to their popularity and demand, they are bred by puppy farms and mills and backyard breeders, as well as just bad breeders in general just looking for money.

These pups aren't registered, both parents aren't fully health tested,
    6 weeks is FAR too young for the puppy to leave it's mom, another 2 weeks at least is necessary.

Why don't you go for a rescue dog/puppy, they always have young puppies born at the rescue or rescued from pounds or bad situations. Or at least one from a good, registered and ethical breeder.

By rescuing, you're saving the life of a puppy or dog and freeing up a space for another rescue, by buying, you're denying a home for a dog in a shelter and funding more dogs to be bred when their are already so so many.

@Siskin's advice was perfectly said :)

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice