Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Adopting two unneutered male rabbits - help!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by amber_93, Jul 15, 2018.

1. amber_93

amber_93 PetForums Newbie

Hello

I am due to adopt two male rabbits next week who have not yet been neutered but have lived together their whole lives (they are 2 years old). I am told that they have never had a fight and that they happily sleep together and clean each other (I believe they were litter mates from a pets at home), but I am worried that bringing them to new territory will trigger some aggression. I will be keeping their hutch so it will still smell like home - should I bring them home and let them settle in or should I try to get them neutered as soon as possible to prevent any potential fights?? Or even take them straight to a vet as soon as I pick them up? Although I fear that will be too much stress in one go for them!

Thank you in advance!

Amber

2. yojo

yojo PetForums Newbie

hi, i've only just joined, an seeing your post i wondered if you have them now & how they are doing, an if you let them settle or did ops first,

3. amber_93

Yes I picked them up last Wednesday so I have had them for a week now! I haven’t yet attempted to pick them up, but they’ve allowed me to stroke them and they’ve let me rush them a little! They take food from my hand which is sweet. They are being taken to the vets this evening for their booster jabs, health check and nail clip, then when they’ve been checked I can book in for neutering :)

leashedForLife likes this.
  4. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

I'd snip both ASAP - most intact-M rabbits are quite pugnacious, & yes, I would think a change of home could well trigger serious tension & fights.
    Once neutered, i'd watch them carefully to ensure they continue to cohabit w/o fights & w/o harassing each another - no bullying around food or water, no "bumping" from a resting spot, & so on.

Punctures aren't necessary for aggro to exist - they're only the most obvious form of threats / quarrels / bullying & general PITA. :rolleyes:
    I hope they continue to be happy roommates, but i wouldn't lay money on it. :) . Some rabbits are better as playmates & neighbors, vs 24 / 7 sharing the same space.

- terry

amber_93 likes this.
  5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Glad they have settled in well . I expect they will continue to get on well unless there is a whiff of a doe around but its good you are getting them neutered.
    Perhaps you could post some photos of them :)

leashedForLife and amber_93 like this.
  6. amber_93

Thanks! I am taking them for a health check this evening at the vets I’ve registered them at, then they will allow me to get them neutered :) that is my plan!! Yeah I really hope they stay buddies, they have lived together their whole lives and they sleep together and groom each other which is really sweet to see. I must admit one dominates the food bowl a bit but they both do try to hump one another occasionally first step is going to be getting them in the vet carrier tonight - their previous owner didn’t handle them very nicely!

7. amber_93

Meet Tea & Biscuit ☺️

Attached Files:

leashedForLife and kimthecat like this.
  8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Oh they're gorgeous ! :Kiss I like the names.
    I

leashedForLife and amber_93 like this.
  9. amber_93

Thank you! :)

10. amber_93

A little update for you all - the chasing is continuing and Tea seems to be quite scared of Biscuit most of the time; any time Biscuit goes near him he bolts and I think that’s because he’s fed up of being chased and bumped in the rear end! I did, however, spot Tea mounting Biscuit the other morning, which is the total opposite in their usual displays of dominance! I haven’t yet witnessed any biting and I went to speak to my vet yesterday because Biscuit has been making nests with hay and his fur - I was under the impression that only females did this! The vet said this was strange and could be a stress thing but she didn’t seem too concerned and has just told me to keep an eye on them, to keep them together but if anything drastic happens then to separate (which I really hope doesn’t due to me only having the one hutch). Their castration date is a week today, which is when the 3 week immunity period from their jabs is up, so it’s the soonest I could book them in. Really hoping it will calm them down, but I am starting to wonder whether their previous owner actually watched them interact all that closely for the last 3 years!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice