UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask some of you experts about how/if retired cats adapt to single cat households.

I adopted a retired 6 year old female russian blue 3 weeks ago.
She was primarily a show cat but had kittens a few times. She was living with 11 other cats at the breeders home. I know she was treated well and in a nice big house (by tokyo standards anyway!).
Unfortunately my apartment is a bit of a downgrade :frown: but she has a cat tree that goes up to the ceiling and a lot of toys, a window with a view (view isn't particularly amazing it's tokyo after all) and since I'm home most days I'm constantly petting her and trying to play throughout the day.

She's healthy gorgeous and very playful. She will follow me around and jump onto my shoulder and give me head butts etc. Lately she has started chattering/mewing (luckily she has a tiny voice since she's a russian blue) around me a lot... I feel like she's trying to tell me something? At first I thought maybe she was sick because the breeder said she's not a very vocal cat. I assume maybe it's because she's not around other cats and a bit lonely..? Or bored?

The breeder said she thought it would be best for the cat to enjoy retirement as a pampered pet. But she's quite active so now I'm wondering if she would be best off with another cat for company. 2 cats wouldn't be ideal space wise in my apartment but I'm thinking about it because I really want my cat to be as happy as I am living together!

Do most cats that have grown up in a group require feline company to be happy? Or should I expect my kitty to adjust to life with just me and my boyfriend for company? Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
It sounds to me as if she wants a lot of attention. This is quite normal for "foreign" breeds. It sounds to me as if you have a happy cat! I think you will find she is just fine on her own with you.

Liz

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice:) i guess she's chatty now because she's only in contact with humans and trying to communicate. for now i'll do my best to keep her entertained!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.