Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adopting overseas

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Waterlily, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Do you think people should be allowed to help another nations children as far as adopting when in our own countries we have foster homes filled to the brink ?

2. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

I like you. You give me random things to think about :p

Hmm.. Gimme a minute to think about that one!

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I think it should depend on the country and the quality of care being given / received in the child's home nation.

There are many orphanages in Eastern Europe where the children live in conditions that I wouldn't even permit an animal to live in and the level of care being given is very poor. In that case, yes adoption should be permitted because yes, we do have foster children up to our eyeballs in our home nation, but they do have a better standard of living.

But, if you think for a minute that you can get me to adopt ya WL....... Well, just let me know and I'll get the paperwork sorted!!!! :D :D :D

4. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

I see what your saying, and to an extent I agree..
    But I also think that the children in some other countries may never have the chance to be given a loving home if every country was only allowed to adopt within the country they live...

These are just two ways of looking at it, I don't really know which ones I agree with.

5. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

In the UK people are turned away for the stupedist of things (one because her husband used to smoke!) and can only adopt within your race so yes why not give another child a chance :)

The system in the UK needs a drastic overhaul!

6. CKD1

CKD1 PetForums Junior

I very much agree with what starlite said.

I also have this opinion that we cannot chose where we are born and should not be denied opportunities in other countries, wether it's in regards to immigration, adoption, asylum etc. I don't agree with charity begins at home we should all be helping each other regardless of location. So yes we should be allowed to adopt from overseas.

7. Bellaboo1

Bellaboo1 PetForums VIP

Priority should be kids in this country first imo, however, the amount of red tape there is surrounding adoption in this country, this is often why people adopt from other countries. They need to review adoption laws.

8. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

As starlite said: it is not that other nation kids are the first choice..but it is much easier to adopt them!..nearly like to get a dog from rescue comparing to getting it from pet shop!
    It very sorry state of affairs but it is true!
    You go to China/Russia etc..get paperwork sorted in a jiffy , pay what you must and presto..you have a baby...

9. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Sorry!....couldn't agree less. If I'm going to be taxed to hell...There are many sick,poor,homeless here that need my help.Never mind the rest of this overpopulated world.

10. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

I think that a long hard look needs to be taken at our adoption process. There are so many hoops that parents are expected to jump through (I even saw a couple turned down as the child wanted a house with a dog and they didn't have one :eek:). By removing the obstacles in our own adoption process we could home a lot more children in UK care.

The other side (and we can't ignore it) is the "cute factor", lots of people go to South East Asia for Chinese/Vietnamese babies over the UK purely for how "cute" they are. A friend of mine even said that she would consider adopting a Chinese baby "as they are cuter then white babies".

11. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

This is such a difficult question. I do feel that every child should have an equal right to a chance to a new home... but at the same time, I feel like some people don't adopt in this country as they feel that the children would be more.. damaged, or troubled? Whereas from another country there is more children and a lot of them haven't lived in the type of culture with our type of issues before so won't be as effected. Maybe I'm completely off the bat, just the impression that I got.

Sorry if that sounds bad, but just an opinion! As I say though, I do think anyone should have the right to adopt from anywhere.

12. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

It is a disgraceful situation in this country where people are turned away and refused the right to adopt a child for many stupid reasons. Social Services decide they are too old, or too religious, or not politically correct enough for them and a child's future is decided on the say so of some dried up bitter person who knows sod all about kids and their needs.

So, why shouldn't those people look to adopting from abroad? It may be easier to adopt in Australia, I don't know, but in the UK the child is almost an adult by the time the process is gone through and approved.

13. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Agree a hundred percent :)

Im not sure tbh, but I think its as crap as the UK system :)

14. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

It is not quite as easy as that, I have a friend who has adopted 2 Chinese babies and it takes a long time to fulfill all the requirements and costs a lot of money. Having said that it is certainly easier than in the UK, Social Services assess you on everything and make judgements on how good a parent you would be by how fat you are, whether you do/or have ever smoked, colour, religion, pets etc etc.

Plus by the time the SS have tried to keep the children with their parents (however unsuitable) they are normally quite old and come with more issues than if they were removed earlier. Now I do think children should be kept with their parents if possible but surely if you are going to judge prospective adoptive parents you can bring some of that into judging natural parents too.

However, my mum knows someone who adopted from Romania after the collapse of the communist party. She adopted 2 very young children who even though they were under 2 they were completely institutionalised and have had numerous behaviour issues throughout their lives.

But I think most people who want to adopt want babies and not troubled older children and babies are just not available which makes 3rd world countries the best places to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice