UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: we are hoping to add some guinea pigs to our family but not till after our holiday next year as Id have no one to care for them, but we are going to rescue :thumbup:

however I was in [email protected] today and they always have guinea pigs in the adoption area. Are you adding simply creating a new space for another animal to be brought instore do you think? Or would we be best sticking to a rescue group?

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
In some cases they are just getting rid of old stock, however they dont get a profit from them, the donation you give goes to the charity set up for the adoption sections. I have adopted and one occasion it was ex stock but as long as you are aware that they may not be from healthy stock then I say go for it :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I'd second what TDM has said...don't expect them to have the same lifespan as well bred pigs...they can be sickly, but not all.

You will get more backup from a proper piggie rescue centre.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
i adopeted my 2 buns from there. pepper was before i knew better, a 10 month old lop from a family who didnt want him any longer. (that was in june) tilly i got because i couldnt work out why such a young bun was there and was so annoyed that it was because (in their words) 'she had fights because she didnt get on when mixed with the old batch' that i took her home there and then. funnily she bonded well with pepper and we've not had a problem. :)

i would be aware as the others have said depending on their history they may be sickly stock, but why not :)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Here is a link to a very good guinea pig forum. They always have lots of guineas in rescue centres waiting for homes and could advise you of any in your area. I would always go for a rescue over [email protected] As you said, you are just making space for more

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
this is a great guinea pig forum but they do not speak highly about pets at home. if you take a look you will find out why they do not like them. they have a list of very good rescues and they are very helpful too.
The Guinea Pig Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.