Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adopting Chickens? Corinavirus?

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by Corneal, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Senior

Food can be pretty hard to get hold of now, coz of the virus. I have an old rabbit run in the garden, I could put chickens in it, but what do I need to know or consider? What do they eat? How much do they eat? How much does their food cost? What do I need to know?

I forgot to mention, these chickens are NOT for eating, just for the eggs

#1 Corneal, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  2. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

Laying hens eat layers pellets, heres a link to the site I use.
    https://www.littlepeckers.co.uk/c/poultry/chicken-feed

How many are you thinking of taking on ?

They do need quite a bit of space so a rabbit run, unless it's very large might be to small.
    If they are too confined they will get annoyed with each other and fight/bully.

They are wonderful pets though and are all so unique.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Wire would probably not be strong enough to keep a vixen with cubs from running off with your birds.
    They do need to be protected, even in towns

Lurcherlad and Cleo38 like this.
  4. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Senior

We are looking into Bantams (do excuse me when my autocorrect calls them Batman’s)
    We want four, in a run that is 15ft x 5ft

Our garden is very enclosed, with all the fences being 6 feet high and partially buried in the ground. There is no way a fox would get in our garden. We haven’t seen one in over 20 years.

5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

You would need a secure coop for them which is easy to clean out, (you can use straw or wood shavings for them but not hay). You will need to be vigilant against predators & be aware that chicken food can attract rats. Make sure you keep the areas clean, invest in some feeders & bring the food/water in eah night. Red mites can be a problem in the warmer weather so you would need to treat accordingly. There are a whole list of diseases they can get so definitely read up before you make your decision.

Having said that they are lovely birds & not too difficult to look after. You can feed them layers pellets but I also feed corn, vegetable peeling (not raw potato), meal worms & fruit.

Edited: You would be surprised, a fox scaled a 6ft fence in my garden & killed 8 chickens & 1 cockerel in one night :(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Senior

I have 6 rabbits, if a Fox was going to break in he would have done so already.

We are trying to keep the costs down so I plan on putting food and water in ceramic dishes

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

If you put them in ceramic dishes then when it rains the food will be waterlogged (especially f you feed layers pellets) unless you put them in a covered area. You would also need more than one water/food bowl as at times some hens can be bullies & guard a resource. Chicken feeders aren't too expensive & you can get some good ones even on Amazon.

You will also need to de-mite them & work them regulalry

Also bear in mind if wild birds can access the area then there is a risk of contamination from them

8. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Senior

What do water feeders look like?

Plus we are trying to make do with what we already have, we are in self isolation so can’t go out to get anything. The plus we don’t want to get things from amazon as we know they are super busy and may have to stop delivering things before anything we buy has a chance to get here

#8 Corneal, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Then really you shouldn't be getting chickens if you can't adequately provide for them. Maybe wait until this is over. The run you describe is not suitable

Linda Weasel and Beth78 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice