Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adopting an ex-breeder

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by Cari24, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Cari24

Cari24 PetForums Newbie

Part of me feels adopting ex-breeders encourages the puppy farming industry, however at the end of the day, the individual dogs don't know this and still need a happier life in a proper home. What are your thoughts?

Also, rescue centers talk about nervousness and needing lots of patience and sensitivity while they settle into a home, but has anyone rescued an ex-breeder and had lots of aggression? We already have a small young dog and wanted a playmate for him, but don't want it to back fire and end up with a dog who turns aggressive. Especially now as rescues aren't letting you introduce your dog to a new dog on neutral ground before decided if they're a good match..

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

If you think really hard about the experience of the world that a dog kept at a puppy farm has, then I think that gives you an answer.

Worst case scenario is kept in a box in a barn with little human contact other than feeding. Little contact with other dogs other than mating.

I think maybe it also depends on the rescue, as to wether they’ve put in enough to assess the dog’s needs and wether they actually have the expertise to do this, because meaning well isn’t enough.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice