Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adopting a dog...

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by Tamsin, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Tamsin

Tamsin PetForums Junior

I would really love to adopt one of the many staffies that are in need of homes at the moment but I have the feeling if I try I am going to get rejected.
    I live in a studio flat with my partner and we are allowed dogs as long as we inform our landlord before bringing one home. I work 8 hours a day including travelling time and tend to go home at lunch time as well - but if I dont I have a friend that is around to take the dog out.
    I have no garden to offer but I am fit and go for a walk every night anyway for at least an hour so would have no problem doing this with the dog. And wouldnt be bothered about getting up an hour earlier to walk the dog before work as well.

I have been around dogs all my life and own my own that my dad has stolen off me, lol! I can easily cover the cost of insurance, food and vets bills when needed.

What does anyone else think? :p

2. Nicci

Nicci Guest

You won't know until you do try will you? Some of the smaller rescues may accept you :)

3. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I agree with Nicci. Not having a garden will probably rule you out for the big rescues but you could try contacting independant rescues in your area to see if they would be willing to rehome to you.

4. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I have been informed that if you have the services of a dog walker then that could go in your favour. However I was unsuccessful when trying to adopt a dog from Battersea in Windsor. They have a no children under the age of 8 policy.

I did wonder if you took on the dog then had a child would you have to return it.

ETA: Good luck! xxx

5. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

is this a new policy them, i got my puppy from them when my child was 4

6. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I don't know, it was a about five years ago now and we were looking for an adult dog so maybe the policy on puppies is different.

One reason we were given is that dogs tend to get attached to the children of the home and suffer from separation anxiety when they go to school. Didn't seem to make a difference that I am at home all day.

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Try smaller local rescues they often have more flexiblity with the 'rules' and can spend more time matching dog to owner. We've certainly rehomed a number of our rescues to people without gardens so it's not impossible.

Good luck.

8. Tamsin

Tamsin PetForums Junior

Thank you for all your responses.
    At the moment I am not to concerned about the rules with children as I dont have any myself and am not really around them that much.
    I cant see why I would be refused due to a homecheck either - my flat is a studio but I feel it is big enough to accommodate a dog and it has done when I have looked after my mums Parson's terrier for her - she is crated during the day when working as she is very destructive but is brilliant in her crate - and there is plenty of room for that.

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Does it have to be a Staffie?

They are very high energy, intelligent, social dogs, and from my experience, dont particularily like being left for long periods of time.

When bored they can become extremely destructive, and crating wouldnt be an option for you.

Maybe something more laidback and lazy would be better.

10. Tamsin

Tamsin PetForums Junior

It doesnt have to be a staffie no - I have just always wanted a staffie and due to current situation with hundreds of staffies in rescue I thought it would be good to rehome one.
    I'm not really sure what sort of dog classes as laid back actually - what sort do you have in mind?
    Any help greatly appreciated!:)

11. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I've got 2 staffie crosses and foster countless staffies and believe me with the right amount of exercise and mental stimulation they can sleep for England!!! Mine are left upto 8 hours a day with garden access and get 2 off lead walks a day and are perfectly happy....infact this morning I had to go back upstairs to remove Archie the foster Staffie from under his duvet to join us on our walk!!!:rolleyes:

12. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

infact this morning I had to go back upstairs to remove Archie the foster Staffie from under his duvet to join us on our walk!!!:rolleyes

^^^^Lol same as my boy lol

>>>I have PM you OP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice