Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adopted cats probs with toileting

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by sharonplym, May 12, 2010.

1. sharonplym

sharonplym PetForums Newbie

One of our neighbours died and all her pets had to find new homes she had a total of about 12 cats and a few dogs as well as fish and birds we took in 4 cats as they would prob have been put to sleep if no homes was found we have 4 cats of our own but the cats look like they just had the run of the house and just went any where and everywhere very shy and timid and we think had no human contact apart from food being put down we put the new cats into our bedroom so it would be nice and quiet for them and not get stressed out with our cats and vice versa until they all settle down 2 ventured to another room and we put a tray also in that room they have not ventured down stairs yet and all our cats have stayed downstairs since the new arrivals
    we have food water and a litter tray in our room but after the 1st night my partner woke up to find a wet patch at the bottom of the bed so bed stripped and washed and sprayed the 2nd night (tonight) i got up during the night went back into the bedroom to find that 1 of them had a poo on my side of the duvet the litter tray has been used since they have arrived

how can we get them out of the habit of just going anywhere i have had cats most of my life but all from kitten and never had this problem the new cats are all 3 years old

2. helvissa

helvissa PetForums Newbie

Would it be worth taking them to the tray and moving their paws in a digging motion in the litter? I wonder if that might help them to recall their poop-burying instinct and therefore encourage them to use the tray rather than your bed!

I suppose it could also be the stress of moving to a new family and environment, so you could try using Bach's Rescue Remedy to help them be calm. A vet recommended it to me when I moved house with my cat - just a little dab on the scruff of the neck.

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

You could get a Feliway plug in that will help reduce stress & hopefully they will all settle down together :)

4. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Cat attract litter might also help. It certainly did with my adopted neutered cat who regularly went on the front door mat!

5. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

How many trays do you have? Sometimes not havign enoguh trays can cause these problems. Could you put more down? Even if it's just while they're settling in. Behaviourists say to put a tray down for every cat in the house +1, so for 8 cats you'd have 9 trays.

6. sharonplym

sharonplym PetForums Newbie

it just seems to be 1 of them the other seem to b ok have seen them use the tray since i 1st posted we have just had 2 or 3 more accidents

in total we have 4 trays down our original 4 that we have all go out so the trays are mostly used for the new cats we have 2 trays upstairs in the rooms that they go into and 2 down stairs they have not ventured down stairs yet but slowly getting there they 2 will come half way down the stairs now and are friendly when they see us now

the other 2 seem to be more afraid 1 you cant even get near them both of these have only 3 and a half legs a birth defect but they manage to get around no problems at all same as 1 of our older cats who has 3 legs due to a accident

I will try that Bachs remedy and see if that helps our other neighbours who took some of the other cats in only have a few problems but are settling in well but they took either 1 or 2 cats not 4 lol but the lady who died's family wanted these 4 to all go together

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice