Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adopted a Sphynx

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Charjep1, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Charjep1

Charjep1 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I’m new here. We have always wanted a Sphynx cat and the rare opportunity came up to adopt one at 15 weeks old. He arrived last night. He is called Norman and his previous owners wanted him rehomed after a break up. We have very little information about him other than he was fed mostly cooked chicken and fish.
    He’s been here 22 hours so far and hasn’t eaten much at all other than a few small pieces of cooked chicken. We have tried him with fish and a high quality wet cat food but he sniffs it and walks away. He has had some water. He also vomited during the night but today hasn’t. In the 22 hours he’s been here he’s done two big wees, and a very very small bowel movement. He isn’t very playful yet, he’s quite clingy and mostly snoozes on us or sits on our shoulder.
    What do we do about the food situation? He’s hardly eaten anything. Is this just because he’s settling in? I’m quite worried. I can’t phone the vets to book him in for a health check and his vaccinations until Monday.
    Does anyone have any advice?

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Do you have the breeders info on the paperwork? He should have been returned not sold on and they would likely want to know where he is, and offer you advice.

You also need to know the health status of the parents, Sphynx are rife with heart problems, choosing a good breeder is imperative to ensure all breed relevant DNA tests and heart scans have been done.

With him vomiting, not being playful they may have rehomed him as he's been unwell. Can you get the ER vet to check him over rather than waiting until Monday? Kittens can go downhill quickly.
    He should not need any vaccines at his age unless he's come from a byb who did no vet work prior to rehoming.

3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I don't know very much about Sphynx but it could be that he is unsettled at the moment being in a strange place. I don't think just chicken and.fish alone are providing a balanced diet for a kitten. You could phone the emergency vet for advice tonight to stop you worrying

4. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

I think I would also call the emergency vet for advice. It could just be that Norman is a bit unsettled, but not eating and vomiting could be a sign that he is unwell.

A registered sphynx should have only left his breeder at 13 weeks. The fact that he has already been rehomed at 15 weeks sounds dubious to me and makes me wonder why the owners didn't contact their breeder to say their circumstances have changed. It also seems odd that his previous owners didn't have much information to give you when they rehomed him to you.

Merlin's Cat Crew and Charity like this.
  5. Merlin's Cat Crew

Merlin's Cat Crew PetForums Newbie

I agree with some of the other people on here, any good breeder would ask for the cat be returned to the breeder if the new owner cannot keep the kitten/cat. Nor would the kitten leave the mother cat / breeder before 13 weeks & by then with all shots completed at 12 weeks. It does seem very strange that the kitten is so young & being re-homed already & being rehomed with potentially (but hopefully not) health problems. Did they not give you all the breeders paperwork as well which should include the veterinary records? All that moving & changing is very unsettling for them and would be a bit off to start with but being a kitten a game or two & a cuddle usually sorts that out. Maybe a vet visit sooner rather than later would be a good idea.

Calvine likes this.
  6. Charjep1

Thank you all for your comments.
    No we don’t have any paperwork, apparently Norman is unwanted following a break up and we thought we were doing a good thing by adopting but it seems it was the wrong thing to do now with so little information :(
    Our closest emergency vet is closed due to COVID so it’s going to mean a longer car journey for Norman to get him to the next nearest one, and he got very upset in the car from the previous owner to our house, however I’m wide awake and up with him now because he has been sick again, in his bed this time. So I’m going to have to take him. I do think there’s the potential it’s just stress related because he was fine all yesterday, and the vomiting seems to come after he’s been meowing/crying when we’ve come up to bed and he’s alone. But I need to get it checked, I feel sick myself with worrying about him.
    He still isn’t playing or eating very much still but as soon as he’s with us he’s curled up and purring away, just doesn’t seem happy on his own.
    I will update once back from the vets.

7. Charjep1

Norman is going to the vets this morning to be checked. He was sick again during the night so I’m very worried about him. But he seems to be sick after he’s been crying when we’ve left him to come up to bed so I don’t know if this is from stress. Hopefully find out more today.

Psygon likes this.
  8. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Hope all goes well at the vets

9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Let us know how you get on.

10. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

You are doing the right thing taking him to the vets, hopefully, they can help him feel better.

11. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Sphynx are known to be very people oriented cats
    He may well be mewing so much, as to make himself sick (is it bile, clear or actually food) because he's being left alone and wants to be with you for comfort, remember he doesn't know, at the moment, when you disappear to bed, if you're coming back
    At 15 weeks he should've only left mum 2 weeks ago, and yet you're now his second home (thank you so much) so he's no idea what's going on
    Glad you're getting him checked over though

I wonder if he is as old as 15 weeks, or was sold before he was 13 weeks, it can set a kitten back if so

Calvine likes this.
  12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Agree that it seems odd that a kitten is being rehomed so soon . . . surely you know if your relationship is on the rocks soon enough to stop you taking on a new (and very young) pet? OK, I could understand if it is a family pet of long standing, but not a brand new kitten. Poor little guy; it's good that he has at least found a decent home, but It's an odd story. All a bit suss.

chillminx likes this.
  13. Charjep1

Thanks all. I can’t go in the vets due to Covid so waiting in the car park. His heart, lungs and tummy feel good however he has pale gums and a low body temp even though he feels warm to touch. She said this could potentially be anaemia or a possible bowel blockage. If it is anaemia then it’s due to his poor diet. The breeder has fed him chicken and fish from the word go and I’ve tried 5 different premium brands of cat food now and I can’t get him to go near them. Even the ones that look like shredded chicken in broth he won’t touch. So I don’t know what I’m meant to do to get him to eat kitten food :( any ideas?

14. Charjep1

@Calvine i agree, very suss. But we fell in love with the little guy and wanted him. Going to be paying the price now in vets bills but if he has ended up anaemic from a poor diet then I’m glad he’s with us now as I’ll do everything I can to make him better

Calvine likes this.
  15. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Atm I think it's important to get him eating, so offer the chicken and fish that he's used to.
    Check out Zooplus. They sell a completer called Felini complete. This will give the necessary vitamins n minerals that he needs.

Also, if he's crying n making himself sick when you leave him to go to bed, then don't leave him alone!
    When I adopted a young farm kitten years ago, I carried him around with me under my jumper.
    When you go to bed, can't you take him up with you?

16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Really glad he found you. I found with a poor eater that warming the food so that it has a stronger smell might tempt them. However, if the kitten is feeling nauseous it likely won't help. Does he show interest in the food at all? Does he sniff and turn his face away?

Summercat likes this.
  17. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

@Charjep1 to encourage him to eat you could warm the food first by pouring some warm water over it.
    Also, have him on your lap and hand feed him. He'll feel happier this way and might settle down and eat. Good luck.

Please keep us updated on Norman's progress.
    A photo of the young chap please?

chillminx and Summercat like this.
  18. OrientalSlave

If he doesn't have a heat pad it might be worth getting one, and also a lot of Sphinx owners put a jumper on their cat. With no fur they get cold easily. They also need bathing from time to time as they get an oily skin otherwise.

Good point from @Calvine about feeling nauseous. If he is doing that then get back to the vet as they can give him something to reduce it.

Summercat likes this.
  19. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Poor little chap. It is good he has a caring home now.

Being a kitten, as @SbanR said, he may be upset being left alone at night. If you do not want him in your bed, could you put a cat bed with cozy blankets beside your bed. Maybe on the nightstand so he can see you.

Felini complete is good to add to cooked or raw food to make nutritionally complete, as was said.
    I don't know if there are similar you can buy in pet shops, if not I would order from Zooplus ASAP.

20. OrientalSlave

If he wants to be in bed with you I don't think a cat bed elsewhere in the room will help! Also be careful if you put one on top of furniture that it's not too high for him to jump up to.

Summercat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice