Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Adopted a dog but worried about past owner

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Harrys Dad, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harrys Dad

Harrys Dad PetForums Newbie

We adopted a beautiful Jack Russel 8 weeks ago and he's part of the family now. When we got him we were told where he was found by the dog warden and that he had been microchipped but the microchip hadn't been registered to the owner. The dog home had him for a week to give his old owner time to find him before we got him.

Everything has been brilliant but the other day my mum (in her 80's and completely compus mentus) was walking him and van drove by her slowly then went around the village and passed her again. She had the feeling he was looking at the dog and had the feeling it was his past owner.

when we got him the dogs home put our address on the microchip site that was already implanted in him, but I'm worried that his past owner will have his old microchip details they got when they bought him and will put those in on the Internet and find our address. If anyone can shed any light on how that works I'd be grateful to know whether our details can be accessed.

Thanks.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

All I can say, is the dog is legally yours.

The dog was obviously found as a stray, had a microchip which had not been updated. Which technically should be, hence the original owners, or who knows the dog could have had many owners since it was microchipped.

The rescue has done nothing wrong and neither have you. The 7 days holding is supposed to give the previous owner ample time to recover their dog and this includes contacting the microchipping company. If for whatever reason, the dog wasn't scanned by say a vet/ rescue centre in these 7 days the next time the dog was scanned it would flag up that the dog is missing and the owner is looking for them. Which isn't the case. The rescue centre via to rehoming would have tried to contact the owner the dog is registered to, via the microchip details and obviously these are not up to date so obsolete.

Many people will adopt dogs in similar situations to this and do not have any problems.

There is no way any previous owner or owners can access the database of the dog's microchip as it's been transferred in to your name

3. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

don't worry he has the chip in your name there is no way his previous owner would know where you lived maybe the person in the van just admired the dog

Calvine and FeelTheBern like this.
  4. Harrys Dad

Harrys Dad PetForums Newbie

That's reassuring to know. Thanks.

Calvine, FeelTheBern and lullabydream like this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Nobody can take this dog from you now.

He belongs to you, he's registered to you.

Try to relax and enjoy him.

6. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

I hate to say this but be aware it's coming up to Christmas & there are vile people out that that if they happen to see an elderly person walking an attractive dog there is the possibility they may be looking to snatch the dog or intimidate the person into handing it over (in order to give it/put it up for sale) don't mean to scare you but just be aware these things can & do happen.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I often duck behind a car with Jack when I see trucks drive by with a couple of blokes in just in case they try to snatch Jack!

I've also walked well past my house until they are out of sight, if they've seen us so they don't know where he lives.

He was dumped on the streets and I always worry he might be recognised.

Paranoia, I'm sure, but "just in case" ;)

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

You are overthinking, no reason why it should be the old owner and even if it is they might not want him back. He is legally yours now BUT if there was a genuine reason why a much loved pet had gone missing I think morally you should give it back. How would any dog owner feel if they could not get their dog back because they did not trace it in time. You hear about dogs being missing for months or even years then being found. After a week it is quite possible that a loving owner did not manage to find it in time. I am not sure microchips prove ownership and I am not sure may owners would have a clue they are supposed to change the details.
    I am sure you are ok though, if it was the old owner they would have stopped.

LinznMilly and Jobeth like this.
  9. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Yes the dog now fully and legally belongs to the OP.

I also agree that if the previous owner didn't register the chip, and didn't search for the dog through the usual channels, they are unlikely to have kept the chip details nor seek out the dog's new address.

But, as a theoretical question, if they did have the chip number, then the whole point of that is to find the address the dog is now registered to.
    My understanding is that the address is not on a public database; if the microchip company is contacted with chip details, they don't give out the corresponding address, they just contact the owner on the finder's behalf. Can anyone confirm for the OP if I have understood this correctly? Thanks.

lorilu likes this.
  10. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums VIP

Scanner Angel has a 'search for chip' page for people who have found a lost dog to see if it's on their system. In theory if they had put their dogs chip number in there, would it show the updated address there?

The van could have just been dog thieves looking for small dogs that would be easy to steal, if your mum walks dog at a set time or route I guess they could drive round at same time/place to try and spot the dog they want again?

You'd think the past owner would have stopped her (if it was them) but they may have also thought she may have told the police if they stopped her in street and would then be able to describe them and have witnesses if other people were about, so again could follow her home and try and steal dog from garden so you wouldn't have a description or may think dog just got out of open gate/hole in fence etc?

11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Tell her to keep a pen and paper on her so if she sees the van up close again she can get the number . . . just in case.
    Some rescues and charities are a bit negligent in advising people that the animal has an unallocated chip and that it is the owner's responsibility to do it. When I got my cat from a rescue, the chip wasn't mentioned so I rang them once I got him home. If I hadn't done and the cat had straight away got out and lost, there would have been nothing to say he was mine. Saying that, a dog legally should have had a collar with owner's details when he was picked up and the owners then could have been contacted.
    Anyway, he's yours now; sorry your mum is a bit worried about it, especially if she enjoys her walks with the dog.

#11 Calvine, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    FeelTheBern and kimthecat like this.
  12. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I 'd be more worried about someone trying to steal the dog than previous owner turning up . :(

LinznMilly likes this.
  13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

What a scary world you make for yourselves. Why on earth should a van driving slowly be out to steal dogs.

14. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

This van could simply have been driven by someone who was looking for an address and didn't know the area.

I really think you need to keep things in proportion.

Jack Russells are hardly rare, so I can't believe anyone would be desperate to steal him. His previous owners will have had every chance to find him, had he been lost.

15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I believe it has (possibly) happened before? I'm sure I remember details of van etc being circulated a couple of years back, tho' of course there are so many Chinese whispers circulating on Facebook and the like that it's difficult to tell what might be true; and this is an elderly lady we are talking about who may feel vulnerable out by herself. It could even have been a dogwalker dropping off his charges and thought there was an elderly lady walking a dog who might require his services!

16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I rather thought the point that OP made was that the microchip had no details (ie it was an unallocated number)?

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Lots of things have possibly happened before. I am sure a man with a beard once killed someone so better be careful if any bearded person slows down in your vicinity. I remember someone on here once saying that she did not dare go home because a white van was parked in her street and the driver might want to steal her dog. I think facebook has a lot to answer for.

18. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

We're agreed on that, then!!

Blitz likes this.
  19. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

There are lots of Chinese whispers circulating on this forum. The mods tend to delete them, though.

adamantis, cava14 una and Calvine like this.
  20. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I see a lot early in the morning, mainly at the weekend, always report a few, but so many you can't do them all.

Blitz and FeelTheBern like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice