Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adopted a British Shorthair but not sure if he is one?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by missxbeth, Sep 29, 2019.

1. missxbeth

missxbeth PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I recently adopted a cat from a registered breeder who had taken on this cat as a favour to rehome him. I was told that he was 3 years old, a blue golden British Shorthair and that he was likely a pedigree but no papers were available for him as they had got lost when he was given up for adoption. We love him very much and wouldn’t give him up for the world! However we’ve noticed that he doesn’t look like the classic British shorthair and are curious to see what people think he is. For example, his fur isn’t very dense at all - there is a fluffy thin undercoat, but it’s not that thick, plush, velvety feeling to it. He does have the jowl-ey face which makes me think he’s a British Shorthair - I think it’s his fur that’s making me think otherwise. Is it possible to get British Shorthairs without a thick, dense coat?

He’s affectionate, but also prone to play biting, and I’ve read that British Shorthairs tend to be very relaxed and gentle. Is this because maybe he’s a mixed breed and he’s inherited this behaviour?

I’ve attached pics for reference!

Attached Files:

white_shadow likes this.
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @missxbeth and welcome :)

He is a very cute, cuddly looking, handsome fellow and certainly has the facial appearance of a BSH.

I can see in your photo his coat does look quite thin and fine, not like the usual velvety thick coat of a BSH. I wonder if his coat may be thin because the previous owner has been grooming him with one of those brushes that strips out the undercoat... But then again that wouldn't explain the fine, soft fur which does not seem like that of a BSH.

3. Tetley&Kenco

Tetley&Kenco PetForums Senior

I have two BSH brothers (with pedigree papers) and one has thick fuzzy fur like a BSH, and the other has thinner fur that looks more like a moggy than a BSH. They’re only 5 months though so maybe Kenco will develop a fuzzier coat as he gets older. But for now he is a 100% BSH with a thin sleek coat, so it must be possible in some instances

Treaclesmum likes this.
  4. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

They are a slow developing breed, not fully grown until age 5 , so maybe he just needs time and good nutrition to fully grow into his coat. He could be a half breed but I can definitely see BSH in his face. Gorgeous colour too! :)

Tetley&Kenco likes this.
  5. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Golden is extremely unusual in the moggy population, and his has very clear BSH features including the apple shaped face.

It might be worth posting in some British Shorthair groups on Facebook to find out who his breeder is

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice