Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adopted a “neutered” cat...

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by MissRhein, Mar 8, 2020.

1. MissRhein

MissRhein PetForums Junior

TL;DR - she wasn’t neutered and was in fact pregnant upon arrival!

So I rehomed a BSH at the beginning of February - shes approx 20 months. She was kept well - received all associates paperwork, imms up to date, regularly worked/de-flead etc. I was told she was neutered and had no reason to suspect not... until the past week I noticed she became distinctly ‘rotund’, increased appetite and a bit more lazy... all piqued my suspicion.

I took her to the vets on 04/03 - vet couldn’t quite tell if pregnant by palpating, and wasn’t prepared to open her up for a spay (and the potential rest) if it turns out she was neutered.. understandable as would be unnecessary surgery!!

I knew know blockage etc, as she’s an indoor only cat and her litter tray is cleaned multiple times per day, so she’s eating, peeing and pooping.

We decided on an ultrasound. LO and behold, at least 3 kittens!!! I’m FURIOUS!!!!!! Vet said well developed as skeletons present, and said 1-2 weeks to go, doubting she’d get to 3 weeks.

I’ve set up various boxes, I’ve bought in a temp controlled heat pad, syringes/nibs and cat formula - just in case needed.. I’d hate to be unprepared and couldn’t bear any more unnecessary suffering.

I’m so mad, and disappointed. Mostly mad. She’s a right titch this cat... and I’m also terrified somethings goes wrong. Obviously I’ll ensure any kittens are vaccinated, Se-flead/wormed, chipped and - if possible - spayed/neutered before rehoming (and making sure my cat is at the earliest opportunity...

I just wanted to reach out and have some sort of resource in place - this is not ever what I envisaged or wanted. The not knowing accurately how far along she is, is causing me great anxiety!!!!

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

As you have all the paperwork, contact the breeder and they should advise you. I assume it was a pet owner you bought her from?

Watch her closely, you'll know when she's close to birthing.

3. MissRhein

Yes, I have the breeders details and have informed of the situation. Equal horror that girl was not neutered. I just don’t understand ‍♀️ If previous owner had been honest, I would have had her booked straight in to have it done - they literally just had to say!!!!

4. spotty cats

If the breeder had neutered before placement could have all been avoided. I'm glad none of our kittens can end up in this situation.

At least she's landed with someone who will treat her well.

5. MissRhein

Thank you - she will be looked after to the absolute best of my abilility and I will not rehome the kittens under any circumstances until they have been properly cared for, including spaying/neutering at personal cost - even if my vet wont do until later - though I have already sourced vets happy to early neuter/spay via cats protection.

I hate that it's just a waiting game - luckily, we live in a large house, so we are easily able to isolate her now into the second living room and utility - so lots of space. I have set up multiple potential nests and I am working on blocking access to awkward spots (such as behind or down the side of appliances) and I'm observing her daily. I;ve switched her to kitten foods, and she is free fed - with plenty of fresh water and her litter is scooped daily and changed every 48 hours.

I don't suppose I can really do much else apart from play the waiting game. I believe I saw movement last night as she slept in her favourite spot on the sofa once the children had gone to bed. I guess we've got anywhere from 1-3 weeks... I hate not knowing though. I feel I;ve prepared to the best of my ability.

I have hot washed lots of old cotton tshirts for bedding, and I have lots of old flannette sheets from my 3.5 year old. I have ordered some puppy training pads too.

Jackie C likes this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Don't use flannelette sheets to line the kitten box, little claws can get caught, but they good for wiping kittens

7. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I always used flannelette sheet under the vetbed because they are absorbent and my kittens never had a problem. They are very smooth unlike towels which can catch claws.

chillminx, MissRhein and spotty cats like this.
  8. MissRhein

Might need them for toilet roll For my 6 person family at this stage!!! Bloody covid19!! Brought out all the greedy, selfish gits! Haha

9. spotty cats

I've never had an issue using flanellette and claws getting stuck, used it many times over the years.

Towels can be put inside a pillow case to make them useable.

Waiting is the worst even when you have a date ;)

#9 spotty cats, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    QOTN and MissRhein like this.
  10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Good idea putting towels in a pillowcase. I have lots of fleece so use that

11. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I would recommend using human incontinence pads rather than puppy training ones for lining the kitten box. The latter have crystals in them that give off a smell to encourage pups to wee. You don't want to actually encourage them to use them, just to have them there to mop up any accidents. Are you sleeping with her overnight? Many cats will choose to birth in the wee hours, and I'm thinking she may well do so given that you have kids and she's new to your home. They can delay birthing until they feel safe, and for her, that will mean dark and quiet. If you are seeing movement, then she is likely at least 7 weeks rpegnant, meaning you have a further 2 to go at most. You will know when birthing is approaching as you will notice that her tummy goes from looking as though she has saddle bags to looking uite neat on top, with everything having dropped low as kittens move down into the birth canal. When you see this, it normally indicates that birthing will happen in the next 48 hours.

MissRhein likes this.
  12. MissRhein

Thank you so much for everyone’s replies. I have ordered some new value range pillow cases and some cheap towels, and some fleeces to lay over the top. I’ll make sure I have a few ready made for changes.

Will order some incontinence pads instead!!! Good tip!

how big should a birthing/welling box be, optimally? We only moved house in November 2019 so have a multitude of flatpacked moving boxes where I could create somewhere suitable in size...

I won’t be sleeping with her, no. We have another cat (whom I’ve had from being a kitten) and I’ve currently separated them. She will have access to a second living room and utility room - both warm and draft free. I do however, still have my youngest child’s baby monitor, so I could set this up and bring it upstairs at night, so I would wake (or my light sleeping partner would!) if any noise made.. but hopefully, if I can spot the signs that she may be about to, there is a sofa available that I could sleep on so I’m at hand.

Another concern I have is how would I know IF mum isn’t interested? And what sort of things could I do to encourage her if she does show disinterest? I have read to rub some fluids on brand new kits if needed - but once that’s gone and cleared, then what? What signs may be apparent that she has no interest in them?

I’ve got everything crossed that it’ll be completely smooth and instinctual :) Also, assuming all goes fab, when do mum and babies get a once over by a vet?

Thank you, and I’m so sorry for all of the questions!!

13. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I have no experience of this, so have no advice to give. Just wanting to wish you luck, and you're obviously a caring, responsible cat owner, so I know your cat and her kittens will be safe with you. Good luck. x

MissRhein likes this.
  14. Rufus15

You need to sleep with her, most girls won't make noise during labour as it attracts predators

moomoowawa and MissRhein like this.
  15. spotty cats

Some girls make noise, some don't (all of mine do however). Sleeping with them works best for us.

Some first time girls can take a bit to settle with their kittens, don't jump in too soon weighing, or hand feeding, given time most will bond and settle in.

OrientalSlave and MissRhein like this.
  16. MissRhein

How long would be the maximum I should wait before they would critically need a feed?

Definitely wouldn’t and don’t want to jump in too soon - I DO NOT wanna have to hand rear at all. I’d like to leave as much to nature as possible.

But I ask the question to experienced breeders - at what stage/amount of time would you have to make a call?

Once I know she’s definitively in labour, I’ll be setting the heating pad away - so it’s there if needed.

17. spotty cats

Don't over think things :) our kittens tend to latch on right away, but it's not unusual to take some time to find a nipple, observe and help them latch if needed and they've been crying a while.

OrientalSlave and MissRhein like this.
  18. MissRhein

I am definitely overthinking - honestly, I’m just mortified by the entire situation, and thoroughly stumped why the previous owner lied to me!!!

I’m terrified they come early too, so my children have all been read the riot act and banned from the 2nd living room so it’s a guaranteed retreat for her. But since I can’t pin point a day or even a week in January (I have asked previous owner; useless!!!), I’m literally relatively blind.

Thankfully, the eldest three are older, and the young one is rarely unsupervised.

19. Rufus15

I started helping mum out almost from the get go - she had a litter of 7 and a first time mum so really struggled. I started off topping up 3 kittens 3 times a day and had to up it to 5 kittens 4 times a day. Not fully hand rearing but mum needed a hand. I think Maine Coons can be a bit more needy than other breeds, however. Spotty has Ocicats which are a very hardy breed. My understanding of BSH is that it can go either way.

MissRhein likes this.
  20. spotty cats

Most cats do fine with litters of 7, I wouldn't panic about it.
    The environment and stress levels also play a part, remaining calm, not fussing.

@gskinner123 is a long term BSH breeder on here who may have some advice.

chillminx and gskinner123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice