Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adopted 9 month old pug, some health concerns. Please advise.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MochasMum, Mar 27, 2021.

1. MochasMum

MochasMum PetForums Newbie

We have wanted to adopt another dog for close to a decade, since the passing of our last family pet. Because of lockdown travel restrictions we only searched for dogs available for adoption in our town. The closest to us was a 9 month old pug.

His ears have what looks like cradle cap on them. They are not sore, dry, hardened or otherwise problematic. If anything, the cradle cap is soft and slightly greasy looking. My main concern is that small clumps of fur can literally be pulled off with no force, even stroked off. Only in some areas on the ear though, mainly the ends.

Another concern I have is that his tail is very short furred and has a small bald patch. This could be because the sellers other dog was a bit rough with him, hence their rehoming him.

We have never had a pug, or even a KC pedigree. The vets have said what we are describing is not an emergency and that they are currently only dealing with emergency appointments. They have advised gently washing the ears and continuing an improved diet to benefit fur growth.

Is he perhaps losing puppy fur? Are pugs ears supposed to be furry or bald?

He is otherwise a very happy puppy. He has 24/7 attention and lots of exercise. He eats 200g of high end pedigree food a day (sometimes more). He sleeps well overnight. His bowels are fine and he's a healthy weight.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

It has been confirmed that his hair loss was due to stress. In only a week his ear fur is returning and is now soft and velvety. He has gained weight and is now 11lbs. He wasn't fond of Royal Canin so we allowed him to taste test vet recommended food, to which he settled on Butcher's wet food (Pets At Home) and Bakers/Iams dry food.

He has separation anxiety but I work from home so he has company 24/7. He's also completely besotted with my cats. They play with him, wash him, cuddle him. He's very loved and is doing very well.

He has 4 dog beds and 2 blankets but he's currently sleeping on my double bed with me and the cats. I've got puppy steps so he can climb up and down with ease, although he's able to jump. I've replaced his harness and lead because the ones given were far too tight. He knows how to play now. His favourite toys are currently a plushie bunny, a pen light and a dental chew toy.

I've taught him to pick his harness up and fetch it to me when he wants walkies. He gets walked 9 times a day for 15 minutes at a time. He tends to miss the cats after 15 minutes and wants to go back inside.

I cast ambience to the TV overnight for the cats, mainly birds, sometimes chakra music. Which stops them rioting overnight. The cats are very playful so it winds them down. He seems to really appreciate the Chakra music, sends him off very quickly.

He's extremely well behaved. I'm training him with positive reinforcements rather than "no" or shouting. I find my animals respond best to positive reinforcements. He comes to me when I call him, he's now potty trained, he sits, kisses, cuddles and jumps on demand. He doesn't bark at my neighbours anymore and he doesn't hide under the furniture thank God. It breaks my heart when our rescues hide under furniture.

Thank you for your help, everybody. It's really appreciated!!

#1 MochasMum, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I can't advise on your pup im afraid but just to say please call round a few other vets. Im in Scotland and vets here are taking non emergencies now too.

It is also ok to travel out of your area to see a vet so you could try vets further afield. Are you in England? We have many forum members in England - if you are able to give a rough indication of your area, someone might know of a good vet willing to see your pup.

Calvine, Lurcherlad and MochasMum like this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Is the brand of food Pedigree?
    If so, afraid to say that its not a high quality food at all, and may potentially be related to some of the issues.

Its quite unusual from for vets to still only be seeing emergency cases in the UK at this point. As he's a new dog (I don't assume the previous owners disclosed any previous health information?), I'd be searching for another vet to give him a check over. At least then you'll know what you are dealing with.

4. MochasMum

The brand we are using is Royal Canin (pug), as vet advised. He was previously on Tesco's own brand at his last owners. They said vet records were available but when I opened the envelope they were not there. Only certificates relating to breeding, champion family members and KC registration details.

I was worried about his well-being on arrival because somebody at that address had been arrested that morning, according to several neighbours. They took over 10 minutes to answer the door. He was being bullied by another larger dog and was hiding under the coffee table. His owners already said they didn't have a garden or time for him. His nails weren't clipped. He wasn't being walked. Frankly I was mortified.

I just wanted to take him home asap, under the impression I could have him vet checked. When I described the issues to the local vets they all said because there was no pain, crusting or bleeding there wasn't a problem and it was an unnecessary appointment during lockdown.

I felt as though I was being guilt tripped for asking in the pandemic. Yes, it may be just dandruff. I'm not sure how pug ears should look, bald or furry. He'd not been bathed properly or brushed so it could be just a build up. But I'd have appreciated a general check. They asked questions about his weight etc via a sort of phone appointment and everything else seemed fine.

The vets didn't elaborate on whether it was a pug specific issue or a common puppy shedding. They simply advised better food than the previous owner's Tesco's own brand for a 5th gen pedigree pug. Which he would have got anyway. Regular bathing and brushing/combing and 60 minutes of exercise a day.

The certificates clarify he's a 5th gen pedigree with good breeding and I managed to track his original breeder who said he was in immaculate health but they were shocked to find out he'd been rehomed. Because the previous owners should have told me he needed his KC papers changed over to me, with breeders signature. I thought I just needed to update his microchip but I need to visit the breeder and obtain their signature. Which they're currently unable to give me. Both the previous owners and the breeder seem to only care about the money, not his well-being. On top of that the vets won't give me an appointment "for dandruff". It's very frustrating.

5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Royal canin isnt the worst food but it isnt that great either. It is owned by Mars, who chuck lots of money at pushing it at breeders with freebies and offers to get pups started on it.

Both my pups were started on it. One was horrifically itchy and the cause was royal canin.

Honestly, i would call round other vets. You dont need to commit to a far away vet for all future appts. It is perfectly ok to visit one vet for this and then see your nearby local vet for other things.

Check out www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk for reviews of royal canin and others

niamh123 and MochasMum like this.
  6. MochasMum

We are in England (Bradford) but the local vets believe it is just neglecting-grooming related dandruff because there is no soreness, crusting or bleeding. His teeth and weight are perfect, he has been bathed and has had his face folds cleaned. His nails have been seen to. I am currently trying to have his microchip changed over but the breeders are apparently unavailable for signature. We use private vets but the PDSA might be worth a try.

I think because of Bradford Covid infection rates they are wary. Maybe I am being paranoid and it is just puppy shedding/dandruff.

I am just increasingly frustrated that the seller, breeder and vets are making this process as awkward as possible. At least he is in a safe home.

niamh123 and tabelmabel like this.
  7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I cant think which members we have in the Bradford area but hopefully someone will see this and tag the relevant person for you

MochasMum likes this.
  8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

My vets have been back to normal since last June, owner not allowed in consulting room, and another vet near us has the owners waiting out in the garden (chairs and a big sunshade in case it rains!).

MochasMum and tabelmabel like this.
  9. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Poor little sausage :(
    Sounds like he'll be much better off with you!

Royal Canin isn't a particularly super quality of food (especially considering the price!) as its typically chock full of fillers and with relatively low quantities of unspecified meats.
    If it suits your dog though, that's the main thing!

Pugs are not supposed to have bald ears; they are supposed to be soft and smoothy furred. It's not normal for any dog to have crusty, greasy or dandruffy ears, so unfortunately there's definitely something going on with them.

Keep in mind too that pugs are not a particularly healthy breed, even if KC registered. Their conformation and looks which are bred for cause them issues, as well as the things going on inside. Getting his past vet records if possible will be important if you plan to insure him (recommended) as preexisting conditions will not be covered.
    https://www.dogbreedhealth.com/pug/

If you have Pets at Home nearby, their partnered vets are open in the vast majority of places (Vets4Pets and Companion Care). Might be worth a check with a local one of those!

JoanneF and Torin. like this.
  10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am fairly sure the breeder does not have anything to do with it if you have bought the dog from someone else. The old owner will need to sign a change of ownership form for both the kc and the chip. There is no such thing as a 5th generation pedigree dog. Every dog registered with the Kennel Club come with a pedigree going back 5 generations.

11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Same here @Calvine. I remember early in the first lockdown calling my local vet as murphy was off his food, very lethargic and making an awful sound of pain. They said then that it wasnt an emergency, he had a stomach ache and his noises were a normal reaction to pain. I think they must have asked a few questions to rule out anything urgent.

They were right and he recovered himself. But since about june/july 2020, our vet has been open for all problems.

I even took my guinea pig for a little check over after her cage mate died. Explained she seemed ok but was it ok for them to double check and yes it was.

Same too - wait in the car park.

Calvine likes this.
  12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I can't advise on a vet or anything but I can tell you if you change his papers into your name online you don't need the breeders signature. On the back of his KC papers there should be a unique code If you go onto the KC website and go onto the change of ownership you put the unique code in and your details pay the money and it will change the ownership for you. Please be aware though at the moment they have updated the website and I know people are having problems but I think it is mainly with registering new litters

I recently changed my young greyhounds papers into my name I didn't have any papers from my breeder as she is in Northern Ireland and he came to me via a person who transport racing greyhounds ( he is not an ex racer he is a show dog). His breeder who we have known for many years emailed me the unique code and his registration number and I transferred it over online.

My vets have been seeing non emergencies since June last year but you have to wait outside and the vet comes takes the dog in and then comes back to you. You are only allowed in to pay.

MochasMum likes this.
  13. MochasMum

Yes he will definitely be getting life long insurance once I am able to have his microchip updated and his KC papers signed over to me by his original breeders. I've been in touch with Vets4Pets, they're who advised changing his diet to RC and bathing him properly before booking an official check up. They offered a sort of over the phone appointment and said it sounded like signs of grooming-neglect at the hands of a previous owner. I bathed him/combed him today and lots of it came off. He does have very fine ear fur, suede like. It's almost as if he has fur glued to his fur? Like two layers. They look like fake eyelash individuals.

14. MochasMum

Thank you for this information! Hopefully this will speed up the process. I was given a paper form to fill in, I wasn't aware of an online option as I'm not familiar with KC. Appreciated.

15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I wouldn't be too concerned at this stage at the loss of fur from his ears, particularly as he appears otherwise to be in good health.

I assume he isn't scratching his ears, in which case, it could well be caused by stress.

Whilst he's clearly in caring hands now, he has had a traumatic time and hair loss can sometimes be a result of that.

His condition would not be classed as an emergency, though, I am a little surprised that any Vet would now be declining any case other than one deemed an emergency at this point.

I would continue as you are, allow him time to settle and destress and then address the issue with his ears if there is still a problem.

MochasMum likes this.
  16. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

What insurance are you with? We're with Waggel and they do a free virtual vet consultation, and then advise to go and see your vet face to face if needed. Might be worth seeing if your insurance offers a similar service?

MochasMum likes this.
  17. MochasMum

We're with PurelyPets. I'll have a look into that for future reference thank you.

18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

You do not need to have him registered in your name for insurance. Lots of dogs never get anything swapped over though you should with the microchip for safety. I assume the previous owners did not bother.

lullabydream likes this.
  19. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Not sure which side of Bradford you’re on but have you tried Yorkshire Vets (Thornbury hospital?). We were with them before we moved and always impressed. I’ve also heard good things about white cross (Eccles hill area I believe). Our vets is dealing with non- emergencies (though I’m in Leeds) so I’m sure there will be one who will see you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice