Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adopt or Shop?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lizzieonline, Feb 29, 2020.

1. lizzieonline

lizzieonline PetForums Newbie

I've decided to get a rabbit and I'm not sure whether I should buy the rabbit from a pet shop or adopt from a rescue centre/shelter. I know everyone always says to adopt and not shop because of the animal welfare/health I think but I've never found solid answers for which is the better choice. If you could help me I would really appreciate it.

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I would try your local rescue centre perhaps get a pair of bonded rabbits .

3. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

The Ethical Consumer rated Pets At Home very badly for welfare. Adopt is better as you save not just the rabbit/s you adopt but frees up space for others.

kimthecat, Lurcherlad and AsahiGo like this.
  4. AsahiGo

AsahiGo Guest

I've done both in the past. in regards to health, I bought a pair from an independant pet shop and they were absolutely fine, and my little Netherland Dwarf is native to Just For Pets. He's also a lovely, healthy rabbit. A rabbit I bought from Pets at Home came to me covered in fleas, and died at a year old.

There are always secondhand bunnies that need homes, but like other animals, some can come with a few quirks! Depends on how they were handled in the past.
    They're usually neutered/nails/teeth sorted out etc. And of course it's nice to give them a home!

Ethically, I'd go for adoption. Maybe try a smaller rescue centre then the big ones, as the rabbits there are more likely to be handled more and be more friendly.

Rabbits are underrated pets; they can be little buggers if mishandled

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d go for a bonded pair from rescue.

Until people stop buying from pet shops and bad breeders they will continue to supply the demand.

lullabydream and kimthecat like this.
  6. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

100% rescue. A good rescue pair will already be neutered and up to date on vaccinations. They will have been properly vet checked and the rescue will be able to tell you their temperaments. You don't get any of that from a pet shop.

My first rescue pair I adopted at 4 years old, I lost them when they were 12 and 13 years old. They had been handed into rescue because the previous owners got a dog that bothered them. They were fabulous little ones that knew their names and would come when called.

My current pair are about 3 years old, my boy went into rescue as a baby from a neglectful situation and spent a YEAR there because he had red eyes and no one wanted him. My girl was a stray and very feisty until she was spayed, now she's a bold little girl who is into everything you're doing and definitely knows her own mind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice