Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adolescent cat - VERY affectionate & vocal

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ellieg, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Ellieg

Ellieg PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone.
    I took in a beautiful young rescue cat last November. She was found as a stray and is thought to be around 7-9 months old.
    She's extremely affectionate, needs lots of attention, is very vocal. She makes a whole range of interesting sounds which is cute, but I've never seen this kind of behaviour in other cats I've had. She tends to make a trilling sound at people as if to say 'hello there' when she walks into a room for instance. It's very amusing.
    She loves to cuddle throughout the day, and swishes her tail as she nuzzles into my neck and kisses my face! Swishing tails usually mean 'danger' though...? I never force her to cuddle so it's not as if she's dying to get away from me or be left alone. She often insists on it.
    She does seem to have the personality and physical characteristics of a Bombay cat (but has a white 'star' on her chest). So I'm beginning to wonder if she's got this in her genetic makeup. I dunno...maybe it's just her personality- intense! The vet says she's a healthy young cat and she seems happy and has lots of energy.
    Can anyone shed any light on her affectionate behaviour and range of cat noises? It'd be interesting to hear what others think.
    Thanks

2. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

She sounds adorable (and welcome to the forum!) :)

I took in my Sandy-boy as a rescue cat about a year ago (fostered initially then adopted in April last year). He has also always been very affectionate/attention seeking and extremely vocal. The latter is usually only with me, but once he's comfortable with people he becomes chattier with them as well. And like yours, he has a wide range - from chirps to trills to miaows of varying volume, range and style. He has particular sounds for certain times/needs - for example when I wake up in the morning he will greet me with a sort of "meeyoorooroop!" excited/inquiring noise, when he comes in from the outside he seems to like to tell me all about what he's been up to, and when he's chilled out and enjoying fuss he likes to trill :)

Sandy was also a stray and I do wonder if it comes from a pure survival instinct - presenting as cute and needy to humans in return for food :)

Edit to add: I do wonder if he has a bit of Bengal in him as he is very vocal and in particular, likes to chatter at birds from the window. He's also extremely active!

Saffy Cat likes this.
  3. Ellieg

Ellieg PetForums Newbie

Sandy-Boy sounds gorgeous.

That's a good point you make - about being a former stray. I think my little Talia loves to feel she's safe hence all the cuddling and snuggles. Bless her.

Funnily enough I was advised to avoid adopting a Bengal cat as they're demanding and you need experience with the breed. Then I adopted a cat which is very demanding anyway - there you go! I want to try to film my cat's different noises but it's always too quick to get my phone out! She sometimes she runs around the house making a sound like a propeller plane. Very funny!

sandy-cat likes this.
  4. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

When we first rescued Holly, she was very very affectionate. She still is, but not OTT like she used to be. Although Sandy Boy does sound happy, there might be some slight anxiety after being a stray. Maybe she's was deprived of attention or affection previously, or was neglected or was underfed and hungry. Maybe she's anxious you might go away or is just saying "I love you, I love you" just to make sure you do love her. She knows it gets her what she wants. Cats are smart creatures and can easily manipulate us, they realise that certain faces they pull, body language and the meow gets a response from us. Although there maybe some anxiety involved, I think Sandy knows exactly what she's doing! They've been doing this to us for centuries! :):D

Holly was like this for a few months, but did eventually settle, although she is still affectionate, and does like attention. She also has this trick when we're having our tea, of sitting in the kitchen just looking at us and lifting one paw up, and puts a very very cute face on. She doesn't do this any other time (apart from the cute face thing).

Felis catus often has the term "domesticus" added to it for a reason.

sandy-cat likes this.
  5. sandy-cat

Sandy is definitely happy to tell me when he wants something :D I don't think it's anxiety, he's just used to being the boss of me now and isn't shy about bossing me around :Hilarious He is similarly quite confident with other humans in "his" house and doesn't hesitate to trample all over them, but he's quite reticent of other people when he's out and about (which is a good thing IMHO - he has a healthy level of caution!).

I find it interesting that he's only vocal with people he's comfortable/relaxed with :D

@Ellieg I'm the same with trying to record Sandy's vocalising (and other cute habits!) - it's like he knows the camera is on and point blank refuses!

Cats eh :Hilarious

Jackie C likes this.
  6. sandy-cat

PS he's also recently been trying out a new miaow which is extremely pathetic, something along the lines of "I'm dying of hunger and I'm reeeeeeally cute!" - definitely manipulation as he is one of the best fed cats you can possibly think of! :Hilarious

Jackie C likes this.
  7. Ellieg

Ellieg PetForums Newbie

This is all really interesting stuff!
    Talia is fantastic but I agree that there might be some anxiety. She runs away from cats at the moment and seems to prefer being outside for short spells and being hugged on and off throughout the day. She's even managed to 'find herself' next to me under the duvet during the night!

@Jackie C the paw thing at dinner time is adorable. I have to admire their intelligence. Do you have a photo of Holly doing it?

Talia's classic one is coming to sit next to me - oh so carefully and lightly - then looking up at me with big eyes, and letting out the tiniest meow, barely moving her mouth. She looks too cute and knows it gets me every single time. She also has a squawk-meow, it's all a bit dramatic and usually happens when she's very excited or at feeding time.

8. mightyboosh

mightyboosh PetForums Member

Oliver has a permanently swishy tail whatever mood he's in. He's 99.9% of the time in a good mood though, it's just him.

chillminx likes this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I love this! One of my girls is the same! :D She is very affectionate and it's as though she's excited all the time. It's endearing. :)

mightyboosh likes this.
  10. mightyboosh

@Ellieg This is Oliver chatting away.

Jackie C, sandy-cat and chillminx like this.
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

He is very talkative isn't he? :D One of my girls is like that, but only when she is waiting to be fed! ;)

sandy-cat and mightyboosh like this.
  12. mightyboosh

Well yes, he was hungry at the time but he's a chatter anyway.

sandy-cat and chillminx like this.
  13. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Sadly, no picture, as I'm usually eaten and we're both too busy saying, "Awww, Holly, don't do that! Stop being cute!" :):D

Ah, the quiet squeak/meow. Holly has this off to a 'T'.

sandy-cat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice