Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Addvice needed

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by mizzpussy, Feb 5, 2008.

1. mizzpussy

mizzpussy PetForums Newbie

Hi all, i am a newbie, i really need addvice on this, i have a silly friend who thought it would be fun and cute to breed her small 1yr old tortoiseshell cat she gave birth to 2 still born boys and 2 healthy females now 6wks old they are suposidly letting me have one, i am paying for all wormers injections etc, the kittens have not been weaned well they are only given half a sashay of kitten meat a day i bought for her, other than that they have to try and eat mums bikkies, the main thing i am worried about is that mum is only eating dry food once a day and has not been separated from the kittens at all and has not been taken to the vets for a check up (conveniently forgot appointment yesterday) all the time the kittens are nursing from her i have tried to explane the health implications of this but she just wont listen i dont want mum ill, or the kittens, at what age would it be safe for me to take the kitten away from mum, as she eats she eats well when i personally give her food.

2. may

may PetForums VIP

6 weeks is far to young to leave Mum and her sister,
    This is the age the kittens will learn about play what is safe etc,
    and the amount of food is NOT enough for a growing kitten,
    I also think the Mum needs more than one meal a day :(
    Kittens need there inoculations around 9 weeks when the baby is fully inoculated
    after another week is the right time to re home them:)

3. mizzpussy

thankyou for your reply i know 6 weeks is to young i have been told that 6 weeks is ok if they r weaned and seem to b doing ok, she is booked in for her injections at 8 weeks old, i am just worried about the feeding situation the person that has her also has 3 other cats along with the 2 kittens, and i think they get most the food, do you think it could do any long term damage not having enough to eat at her age, i know she still a bit young to leave her mum but i think she will have a better start in life if she wasnt there.

4. may

may PetForums VIP

Like all babies the best start in life is so important,
    You said this person has three other cats do they go outside?
    I think as soon as the kittens are able to eat and not depend on mum the better for the kittens, and the sooner you can get this kitten home with you to look after properly :(

5. mizzpussy

no she keeps all her cats indoors she sent the mother out to get pregnant, the other thing is is that her boyfriend smokes drugs around them all the time

6. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

mizzpussy a lot of people let moggie kittens go at 6 to 8 weeks and if you were rescueing this kitten as it sounds you are then as long as it is eating solids and you are prepared to take it to your vet for a check and advice i would get it out of there, not only for the kitten but poor mum sounds like she is beening totally drained

7. mizzpussy

thank u for all your advice i have one last question does any one know if a kitten really needs his injections

8. Angelicats

Angelicats PetForums Junior

Hi Mizzpussy,
    If the kitten is going to be let outside, it`s best to have it vaccinated, and if it`s going to be put in a cattery in the future it will have to be vaccinated. Regarding mother and kittens they are not getting the right amount of food and 6 weeks old is to young for a kitten to leave it`s mum. But in this case it could be better off with you to gave it a better start in life. Also sounds like your friend is irresponsible regarding breeding for her cat and should not do it again. It`s nice that you have been bothered to care about her cats, good on you.

9. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Your a good person trying to do right by this kitten Mizzpussy, i would ask that you try not to make it to easy for this irresponsible person/persons as it will only serve to encourage their actions again, this situation is what it is and at least your taking one of the kitts but in answer to your vaccination question-yes most definitely get them checked and vaccinated at your vets:) Their are sadly too many byb's who fast fill cat rescue centers as it is and it's largely due to thoughtless idiots who have little or no reguard for the animal, and then it's left to the true animal lovers such as yourself and many others to try and rehome them where they can be retrained to live happy,quality lives.:)

10. mizzpussy

i was asking about the injections because she refuses to have any of her cats done i have always had mine done and they have regula checks at the vet luckly my vet offers a free worming check all you pay for is the tablet but they give them a full check over at the same time sadly after allthe fighting i have done to get the kitten out of the conditions they have refused to let me take her i am still going to try and get her away from them but at the moment i seem to be fighting a loosing battle thank you to everyone for the help and advice u have given me

11. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Mizzpussy sorry well no i'm not actually but assuming these people are as awful as you say they are and you are fighting a losing battle in trying to rescue a kitt,maybe you should be contacting the RSPCA or Cat Protection as it doesn't sound at all like these cats welfare and happiness is taken into account. I know it's far from an easy thing to do but these places are for exactly these sorts of cases and if they can be, they will be rehomed and cared for in a manner they will get accustomed to:) It takes someone like you to make a call like this and maybe you can save these kitts/cats from what seems to me a miserable existence and every living animal deserves the right to even a basic quality of life along with lots of love,affection and nurture-good luck i hope you come to the right decision and follow your heart and conscience,you really don't want friends that disregard cats in this way-you'll get (if you haven't already got) new and better friends to be around i'm sure:) Also you can call anonymously so these peeps don't have to know it was you,hope this helps:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice