Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Additional costs for my cats operation - being bribed?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kirsty_H, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Kirsty_H

Kirsty_H PetForums Newbie

My cat is due to go in for an operation today.
    However in accordance to the guidance notes I have been given,it states:

"You may want to consider your cat having a pre-op blood profile done immediately prior to surgery, to establish any underlying conditions that may affect our choice of anesthetic. We especially recommend this for pets over 1 year of age. The cost of this is £(circa £50)!!!!"

I think this is outrageous and an added worry for owners who are already anxious not only about their pets operation but also about the cost of the operation, and feel this is putting additional and unnecessary pressure on them to decide/gamble if they should go ahead with this procedure and what is best for their pet! Plus as it is nearly £50 people cannot afford this.

Why are vets making YOU decide what is best for your pet and then making you pay for it! Surely it is the vet that makes this decision and does what is right!!!

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Pretty standard, and a choice the owner can make in discussion with the vet or nurses. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I hope your cats operation goes well.

Forester, AmsMam, Wiz201 and 6 others like this.
  3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Kirsty_H : I've had many cats (and different veterinary practices) and never been asked this.

vivien likes this.
  4. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Not sure what the problem is to be honest. It's being offered and you choose if you want to have it done or not.
    I would only think it necessary if your cat is elderly or has any underlying medical issues already.

AmsMam, Wiz201, chillminx and 6 others like this.
  5. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

It's choice, you can decide to have them done or not! I tend to have them done purely for reassurance and that it will flag up if there are any issues before they have the aesthetic and need extra support or anything and will also flag up any underlying conditions.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I wouldn't in a young, seemingly healthy animal but probably would for an older one, just to be safe.

It's offered as an option so you can refuse.

ameliajane, Wiz201, chillminx and 2 others like this.
  7. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

I have been asked this before but usually it's either done routinely or not. With a young animal being neutered I have never been asked whether I want pre-op blood work done and with older cats having dental surgery it has generally been included as they like to do it as a matter of routine. I think they are just offering the option. Discuss it with your vet if you're not sure you want to have it done. Most people like to make decisions for their pets, with input from their vet, rather than just let the vet decide. I don't think there is any intention to make you more anxious about the surgery.

I hope everything goes well for your cat

chillminx, Lurcherlad and vivien like this.
  8. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum. Having nearly lost Tiga to general anesthetic I will always now pay the extra to have the blood test done. I also pay extra for Tiga to have a drip put in. It's done just before he goes under, and stays in until they say he can come home. And he had no problems at all this time. The other 3 times I have had problems of one sort or another. But the worst one was when he was very lethargic after and didn't come round after the 24 hour period. He was then put on a drip for three days. And had to stay in until he had eaten something. He wouldn't eat so had to be given a stimulant to make him eat. The worst part was not only him being in the vet hospital, but the cries as I left the hospital. Our vet has visiting times between 5-7. Good luck with your cats operation, I hope it all goes well. Please update us later.

Viv xx

9. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

I think the problem is it's not 100% necessary so to keep costs affordable it's offered as an option. If vets tagged it on to all ops as a belt and braces we'd probs be unhappy at the fact we arn't given a choice.

For you it is probably more about how it has been presented. If it's just offered in a matter of fact kind of 'take it or leave it at your peril' way rather than with an explanation as to how relevant it is to your cat on this occasion it does seem a tad insensitive. If I were you I'd give them a call and ask for more info. If you feel pressurised maybe it's worth finding a vet with whom you feel you can discuss issues like this more freely. I think it's very important to build a good relationship with your vet as one day you may need them to make decisions on your behalf. Maybe they just need the opportunity to explain this option in more detail. My understanding is it's more of an issue for older cats especially those without a medical history with the practice but saying that I'm no expert:cool:

Ali71, OrientalSlave, vivien and 2 others like this.
  10. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

My vets have it as an option on the form for ALL procedures involving anaesthetic, along with claw clipping and, ummm, something else which which is quick & easy to do while they're under. The blood tests for a cat are £30-40ish, as I recall.

vivien likes this.
  11. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Our vets do a basic pre op bloods as standard for any op and that is included in the price but I always choose to have full bloods done in my older cats or ones I have any health issues with. I think it's a good way to check nothing untoward is happening and as Viv said may flag up any potential dangers to going under anaesthetic.

ameliajane, chillminx and vivien like this.
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Indeed. You need to be able to speak frankly with your vet and also to be heard.

I don't routinely treat my dog for fleas (never had them in the 5 years I've had him) but popped into my vets to buy a drop on to use as a precaution when he suddenly started to be itchy. I suspected it was his food flavour (it was) which I stopped and although no sign of fleas thought it worth making sure.

The vet nurse then proceeded to try and force me to buy 6 months worth and then started lecturing me about "regular treatment, blah blah" even though I had told her he never got them and I wanted a one off "just in case".

Bottom line - your pet, your money, your decision. Just make sure you understand what the treatments/procedures are that are being offered and what the risks/benefits could be. Tell them you want to go away and think about it if you want time to do your own research too, if you wish ;)

ameliajane, chillminx and vivien like this.
  13. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

It's just an option. I chose to have it done for Gus as I was anxious, but they couldn't get the needle in as he was nervous so didn't end up doing it.

vivien likes this.
  14. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I don't see a problem with being "offered" a blood test which may save the life of an animal under anaesthetic.
    Complications,although rare can arise if the patient has an unknown health condition,sadly we have had members on the forum lose young animals, not just elderly

15. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Pre-anaesthetic blood tests are a bit like insurance. Some people have insurance for everything and others only when it is absolutely necessary. I usually have the test done when my cats reach about 8 simply because, if there are any concerns, a drip before or during an operation can make a difference between an uneventful procedure and risks to the cat if it has an undiagnosed condition.

16. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Can't see the issue tbh

It's been offered - & is standard practice at a lot of vets - you don't have to do it!

vivien, Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  17. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Our vets recommend a pre op blood test for dogs over 8 . I think its a good idea .

vivien likes this.
  18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I wouldn't have a cat under anesthesia without blood work first. And I would pay for a complete work up, not just an in house pre-op.

Yes, your vet should have discussed it beforehand,w hen you were discussing the surgery. I would make a point of telling your vet this.

vivien, Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  19. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

25 years ago I had a cat who did not recover from a general anaesthetic she was given for a dental procedure. She had to be PTS. It turned out her kidneys were unable to eliminate the drugs. She could have been saved if she had been given IV fluid support during, or immediately after, the op but she wasn't because no-one knew she had kidney disease.

Since that bad experience I have asked the vet to do pre-op blood tests for every one of my cats before they have had a G.A and this has included kittens before being neutered.

At the time my cat's life was ended by the GA, blood tests were not offered as an option prior to anaesthetic. Nowadays my vet practice offers them as an option and I understand most cat owners now take them up if they have an older cat. As QOTN said, it is a kind of 'insurance', and it's a choice whether you take it or not.

As I recall the last time I paid for a pre-op full blood test 3 years ago the cost was an extra £60 on top of the cost of the neutering. My vet is not expensive by most standards.

Forester, vivien, MontyMaude and 3 others like this.
  20. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

The pre op blood test was casually mentioned by the vet nurse when I was booking Cody in to be neutered but then just as quickly dismissed by her because he was only seven months old. I was under the impression that it was only for older cats so I didn't question it at the time. He was fine, recovered from the op with no ill effects at all.

He is still only two but I think I would be inclined to pay the extra £50 or so if he had to go under general anaesthetic again for dental or any other reason for my own peace of mind!

lorilu and vivien like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice