Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Addisons Disease - has anyone had experience of this in their dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Clodge, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Clodge

Clodge PetForums Member

Hi

We're having our dog tested for Addisons Disease next week, not sure if he has it but has the majority of symptoms - anyone had experience of this?

Thanks

Lyn

2. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

Hiya,

Not sure how to move it sorry...

I didn't know dogs could get addisons? my younger brother has it, he was diognosed early lasted year. He was very lethargic and would pass out for no reason... and you can slip into a coma from it. My brother is on constant medication... and since hes been taking it, hes been absolutly fine. He has to take it at specific times everyday, otherwise he can get ill. It is something to do with the glands in your body, if you have addisons one of the glands is completly destroyed, and the otherone usually only works 10% or less. The other gland then starts to attack others in the body, which can cause diabetes. I know it all sounds very daunting but since hes been on his medication hes leading a normal day to day life, and it also might be completly different for dogs

Hope this helps abit :)

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive known a couple dogs with it, but dont actually know a huge amount about it, just the basics.

This is a good site that explains things quite well..

What is Addison's Disease

4. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

Thats a really good link :) its exactly the same as the human form! Sorry I couldn't explain it better :)

5. Clodge

Clodge PetForums Member

No problem - thanks for your help!

6. Aly12

Aly12 PetForums Member

My little westie was diagnosed with Addisons when she was only 9 months old. Why are they waiting so long to do the tests? My vet did tests in her surgery but as soon as the white blood cells were not right she referred Molly to the vet school which is where the Addisons was diagnosed. Her potassium level was very high and she was put on medication straight away. Addisons is very difficult to diagnose and has to be treated straight away. Molly's symptons mimicked a toxic infection as she was sick, had diarrahea, couldn't walk properly and then on the day she was diagnosed she was shaking. She has been on fluorinef and prednisolone ever since and is enjoying a normal life. Molly will be 3 next month. Please let us know how you get on.

#6 Aly12, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  7. Clodge

Clodge PetForums Member

Hi - thanks for your email. We had blood tests done some time ago and then we changed vets. It was the new vets that asked us to come in to have a check up on him (as a new patient) and we mentioned he hadn't been eating, lethargic etc hence the blood tests and she said his results said his potassium levels were high and sodium levels low (or vice versa I can't remember!) but it was unusual in such young dogs and if it happened again to let them know. Since then he's not eating again so they've said to test him. Hopefully we'll get it sorted! Thanks again.

8. Aly12

Aly12 PetForums Member

How old is your dog? As I say Molly was only 9 months old and if the vet hadn't referred her to the vet school she would not be here today. A dog's potassium level should be between 2.5 and 5 and Molly's was 11 so her heart rate was very slow - a heart attack waiting to happen in fact. The vet school phoned me every 3 hours and I have since found out that they did this as they thought they were going to lose Molly. I am sorry but I think I would want the tests done asap as if it is Addisons it needs to be treated immediately. I think it is unusual in young dogs but as you can see Molly was very young when it was diagnosed so it doesn't matter what age they are. The week-end before Molly was diagnosed I had read about someone's westie being diagnosed with it and I looked it up. Molly had all the symptons but I thought because she was so young it wouldn't be that and didn't mention it to the vet. When the vet heard I had read about she said I should have said because if she had given another steroid injection, which she didn't want to do so soon after the first one, it would have covered up the real cause of Molly's illness. It may not be this disease but it is better to find out now. Sorry don't want to upset you.

#8 Aly12, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  9. addisons is the opposite of cushings, you might get some help and support here. Sometimes the treatment for cushings ends up with the dog having addisons, so this should put you in the right place.

They have a forum too. I used it extensively when we thought mums dog had cushings.

K9Cushings.com - All about Cushings and Your Dog

10. Clodge

Clodge PetForums Member

Otto's just gone 1 year. I'm half hoping he has got it as it will explain alot but on the other hand I hope he hasn't but if he has at last we can sort it! Don't worry you've not upset me, I'm thankful for the replies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice