Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

adding two cats to eight should I do it and how ?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by robbina, Aug 16, 2009.

1. robbina

robbina PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am not sure if I have put this in the right bit but hope I have.

Last week sadly my friend died leaving her eighteen year old son and ten cats. Although her son was feeding them he did not want to be in the house long or have any one else there. To cut along story short we had to find some where for ten cats over night. We managed to home one and found a rescue to take seven. We decided to foster the two that he thought would react the worst inside a rescue. We thought we would try and find homes.

We have now found out that my hubby and I are no good at fostering cats cos with in an hour and having seen the condition they were in fell in love. We have six cats of our own.
    We have got the two cats in their own room and as yet the other cats seem unaware they are there. We have started the inoculations and the female is being spayed tomo. We have decided to keep the most nervous one provided it works with our cats and we are very tempted to keep the other who seems to have come out of her shell. We would not even start intros for a couple of weeks untill all injections etc are completed.

We did not want another cat and we were going to get down to four as they went. Having spent time with these cats and for my friend we would like to give it a go.

Our first concern is our own cats. We have only ever introduced kittens before and then ours seem to spend most of their time outside. Only comeing in for food. Over weeks they did all sort themselves out but I would think that this is cos a kitten we not be such a threat. The two fosters are male and female, one is two and the other is five or older (he is more nervous). Any advice would be great. Sorry to have gone on xx

2. Danbury

Danbury PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm sorry but I don't have any real answers to your question. I really admire your intentions and wish you luck in integrating the cats. There is advice around on introducing cats to existing ones. I wanted to thank you really because we have just got 2 kittens and our older cat is finding it very hard to adjust and it wasn't until I read your thread and you mentioned that your cats had stayed away from the house, only coming back for food, that gave me some hope for the future!

One website that is useful is Introducing your cat to other cats and dogs

There is other help there also. I think the one thing that I have found over the last week is to be positive! I did begin to wonder what on earth we had done to Gus when he didn't accept the new arrivals, but having read lots of other posts I am more confident that somehow we will reach an agreeable situation!

3. robbina

robbina PetForums Newbie

Hi, thanks so much for that. We have always found that existing cats always come round in the end.

Our problem has slightly changed.
    A good home came up for one of the cats so we let her go. This has left Tips. This morning he was really confident but now he has become so frightened and hides when we go in the room. He has been through so much. The other cat and he were not well bonded but it was a cat he knew. So any other advice would be great xx

4. Danbury

Danbury PetForums Newbie

Hi I suppose it will just take time. He has been through quite a lot after all. How is it going now? I know that you posted this a few days ago. We're still trying to get Gus used to the kittens but he's spending lots of time outside and is unwilling to come into the house other than to get food. We've been bringing the kittens down in the carrier to meet him but he just hisses and moans and looks very stressed and scared! Hope you're situation is easing as ours doesn't seem to be getting any better!

5. robbina

robbina PetForums Newbie

Poor Tibs has to have a tooth out and is on medication for a mouth prob so will not be trying to introduce untill all has cleared up.

Every time we have introduced kittens ours have left home and only come back for food. Try not to force them together. The prob is we want everyone to get on quickly. When we have introduced kittens we have kept them in a room and only let them out for short periods so that some times if the cats come in they are around and some times they are not. Swapping beds around is good to get each others scent but I expect he is not in long enough to do that now. I have lost sleep and even cryed in the past when I thought it was never going to work and some times it has taken months. They do get used to it in the end Give him lots of love when you do see him. Wish I could be more help.

I feel so guilty about Tibs and now an op. I am dreading when the intros star xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice